Should lease car be on credit report?

chelseabluechelseablue Forumite
3.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
In April I took out a 2 year lease deal for a car

The dealership told me I would be credit checked

I have since registered with Clearscore and the car lease is not listed anywhere on my report.

Should it be? I thought as it's a type of finance it would be

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    33.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be, if they choose to report it to one of the three CRAs. (Clearscore obviously just shows you one.)

Equally, they may choose not to.
  • Is it a PCP deal. I only say that as I have one and it is on my report, both the credit check by the car company/finance company, and the payment history and amount owed.
    I guess it may only be on one of the report companies records, as I have had some forms of credit that only come up on say experian, but not equifax and vice-versa.
  • chelseabluechelseablue Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe its called a private lease, after the 2 years is up the car goes back, no option to buy it at the end
  • GingerBob_3GingerBob_3 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reporting of lease cars to CRAs is yet another data abuse encouraged by the CRAs. Are you borrowing money? No. Does the lease company have security? Yes. Are you getting ANY form of credit? No. Are you paying lease charges up front? Maybe. So why report your account to the CRA? Essentially CRAs are not so much CREDIT reporting agencies as BILL PAYING reporting agencies. "Pay your bills on time (regardless of any dispute) or we'll ensure you get no credit in the future".
  • I believe its called a private lease, after the 2 years is up the car goes back, no option to buy it at the end

Oh I see, have you checked all three credit agencies?
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS