Loading Kodi onto Amazon fire stick

in Techie Stuff
15 replies 3.1K views
ferryferry Forumite
2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
Can anyone help or advise on the level of difficulty installing Kodi for use an Amazon fire stick for a complete newbie?

Also, is this method likely to perform better than an android tv box?

Thanks for any advice
:j

Replies

• GillorGillor Forumite
    780 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've not used an android TV box but it works fine on Amazon's Firestick.

For tutorial see here
  • AndyPixAndyPix Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would say 7/10, and yes.

But as discussing using this device to watch content illegally is not allowed on this forum, you probly wont find much advice here ..
  • edited 30 June 2016 at 8:10AM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2016 at 8:10AM
    Easy on a box K is an android app you just download and install .
    You then have a box with a 100% legal media player despite MSE judgments .
    Of course you probably want this to stream content as above post .

As K is a media player it works on Windows and Android tablets or phones .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Holiday Haggler
    It's super easy if you've got an android phone

1. Install App2Fire - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.koni.appstofiretv

2. Find the IP addresss of your fireTV stick, put that into App2Fire and check it discovers it.

3. Install Kodi on your android phone - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xbmc.kodi

4. Use App2Fire to transfer it to your fire stick

5. Install 'Complete Kodi Setup Wizard' on your Android phone - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theappguru.cksw

6. Transfer to Fire Stick with App2Fire

7. Open Kodi on your FireStick. Let it do an initial configuration

8. Open 'Complete Kodi Setup Wizard' on your FireStick - then choose a build you want to install. It'll download everything you need and install it.

9. Enjoy.

I honestly can't believe people are paying £50-80 for pre-configured FireSticks. I've done this 3 times and it's rather easy once you've got it going.

I'm guessing if you've got an android box you'll just need the .apks for these programs (won't need App2Fire) unless it's got the play store
  • FightsbackFightsback Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    AndyPix wrote: »
    I would say 7/10, and yes.

But as discussing using this device to watch content illegally is not allowed on this forum, you probly wont find much advice here ..

Tut tut Andy, Kodi is not designed as an illegal instrument any more than a cassette recorder, a kitchen knife or a video recorder. It's what people do with something that makes it illegal. A computer can also be used for illegal purposes

Kodi turns a Firestick into a great airplay or DLNA audio sink ;)
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Holiday Haggler
    I quite like the addons that let you view public CCTV - there's stuff in really interesting places like Elivs Wedding chapels, the ISS and loads of tourist destinations.

To be honest I mainly use my fire stick to let my kids watch Amazon videos and Netflix.

https://www.tvaddons.ag/video-cameras-kodi/
  • Be aware that Amazon will wriggle out of their warranty abligations if they find out you have Kodi installed. Also you won't be able to watch locally networked content if your internet goes down.
  • edited 30 June 2016 at 6:39PM
    FightsbackFightsback Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    edited 30 June 2016 at 6:39PM
    Be aware that Amazon will wriggle out of their warranty obligations.... Also you won't be able to watch locally networked content if your internet goes down.

1 ) It's a device that cost's less than a pair of kids trainers

2 ) "Also you won't be able to watch locally networked content if your internet goes down" - Utter crappe, I see you are living up to your user name. I own a firestick and it plays local network content just fine.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • That's strange because mine wouldn't show the homepage without internet and so you couldn't navigate to any apps.
  • GillorGillor Forumite
    780 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Be aware that Amazon will wriggle out of their warranty obligations if they find out you have Kodi installed...

Amazon collects information on the usage of downloaded apps by default, but just turn it off....

Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Collect App Usage Data
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals