Credit Searches on Profile

My Clearscore profile has just updated and while going through the usual I noticed that there were credit searches by Capital One (June) and RBS (May & June), neither of which I made.

I'm 100% certain I've not visited the Capital One site let alone make an application of credit (last thing I want at the moment), who do I contact about this and raising something about this as if there was a successful credit application this month, it won't show until next month, correct, and I don't wish to be screwed.

RBS is a different matter, I did start an application but I didn't complete it and there wasn't a credit search to my knowledge but this was 2 days ago and the searches show at the beginning of May and June so not when I started it and left it.

Do I call up the respective fraud departments or do I take it up with the credit referencing agencies?

Replies

• ArleenArleen Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Are those credit searches or some other type, like quotation searches? If you have a card with capital one then they may carry out "quotational searches" (or whatever that is called) every now and then to consider reevaluation your limit. RBS may be the same story.

But if you don't have accounts with them then and those were credit searches then for sure call them bright and early, and go request your statutory from all 3 agencies to get a full picture of whats going on.
  • SLZSLZ Forumite
    233 Posts
    Arleen wrote: »
    Are those credit searches or some other type, like quotation searches? If you have a card with capital one then they may carry out "quotational searches" (or whatever that is called) every now and then to consider reevaluation your limit. RBS may be the same story.

But if you don't have accounts with them then and those were credit searches then for sure call them bright and early, and go request your statutory from all 3 agencies to get a full picture of whats going on.
    They don't appear to be quotation searches, they say credit on them and I don't hold accounts with either, I closed my RBS account a while ago and was thinking of reopening but with rewards rather than Silver but got as far as address and had second thoughts then left it. I've never had an account with Capital One nor would I intend to.

I'll call them in the morning then and see what happens.
  • 20aday20aday Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Capital One will more than likely be a Quotation Search as they seem to look at my report (via Clearscore) every couple of months.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • National_DebtlineNational_Debtline Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    HI SLZ,

If you are concerned then I would suggest that you speak to Action Fraud for a bit more advice. They are the UK's number one fraud reporting centre and they should give you a reference number. You should then write to Capital One an RBS with a copy of your credit report showing the searches, and your fraud reference number and ask them to investigate the matter. You are right to be on top of this early (just in case). Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides