🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

School fine a lottery?

Options
If possible could you give me some advice or lead me in the right direction...
We have been fined for taking kids to australia (we r deciding whether to emigrate). They were out for 6 days in total...
Now i imagined we would be fined but my argument is that other families in the same school havent been fined. (Same duration and longer!)
I have spoken to the head and she sends all absences to the lea.. so it seems more like a lottery as to whether you are fined or not...
My kids attendance is 95% with this absence... is there anything i can do to fight the fine?
Teachers are striking on tuesday yet that is acceptable?
If you can help or advise me then that would be great.
Thank you

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    1: it's irrelevant what happens to others.
    2: the teachers striking is a good thing for parents.
    3: try your luck in court, after the recent precedent, you could easily win.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you absolutely certain that they took as many/more days off? In my LEA, you are entitled to 5 days, so 1 extra day is what would trigger the fine regardless of attendance rate.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It does seem to be a bit of a lottery.

I know someone who has taken her kids away on holiday twice this year during term time. She keeps them off school for any reason at all, even to go shopping or if she wants a lie in!! She's never been fined, not once. The kids also both have special needs, and all the absences only make things harder for them.

Other people get fined for missing one day at the end of term.

OP, is there a complaints process with your LEA you could try?
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Supahan wrote: »
    Teachers are striking on tuesday yet that is acceptable?

Yes it is, they aren't striking just to get a day off!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get in touch with parents want a say (either google or they have a facebook page) see if they can offer any advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Isn't the chance of a fine also related to previous absences?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Did other parents ask permission?

Did you ask permission?

So their attendance was less than 100% before this absence. Were the other chldren's abscences also less than 100% before their days off?

Have you checked your LA website to see what they allow?
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My 12YO son informs me that if they appear in school with tramlines or similar cut into their hair, they get sent home until it can be hidden with a #2 cut. So next July, before silly holiday prices start, he may just acquire them!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,320 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 July 2016 at 6:03AM
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    My 12YO son informs me that if they appear in school with tramlines or similar cut into their hair, they get sent home until it can be hidden with a #2 cut. So next July, before silly holiday prices start, he may just acquire them!

So you'd arrange for your child to get excluded? And you're happy for him to have that on his school record for the rest of his school 'career', possibly affecting his chances of getting into college later just on so you can get a cheap holiday?
    Why not just get him to break a window or punch another child to achieve the same result?
    :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £575
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you'd arrange for your child to get excluded? And you're happy for him to have that on his school record for the rest of his school 'career', possibly affecting his chances of getting into college later just on so you can get a cheap holiday?
    Why not just get him to break a window or punch another child to achieve the same result?
    :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

To be honest, if a school want to start excluding pupils for such stupid reasons as perfectly innoffensive haircuts, I think they've only got themselves to blame if people take advantage of it.

I don't think an exclusion from school shows up on a CRB, or anywhere once you leave!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport