Cat Insurance...pre-existing condition

Hi,

Hope this is the right forum!

Have a 6-month old kitten and found out yesterday it possibly has Neurological problems (seems quite severe) - its sibling is not affected thankfully - looks like its going to be a long journey of treatment etc so see if anything can help.

Anyway, I did not take out insurance beforehand for them and yep, am regretting it now....does anyone know of any company out there that will cover for pre-existing conditions?

I found VetsMediCover but on their website they state that "Cover for pre-existing conditions if they have not had any symptoms or treatment for 24 months." ........ well, thats not going to happen as this is on-going and the condition will always be there.

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lara400 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hope this is the right forum!

Have a 6-month old kitten and found out yesterday it possibly has Neurological problems (seems quite severe) - its sibling is not affected thankfully - looks like its going to be a long journey of treatment etc so see if anything can help.

Anyway, I did not take out insurance beforehand for them and yep, am regretting it now....does anyone know of any company out there that will cover for pre-existing conditions?

I found VetsMediCover but on their website they state that "Cover for pre-existing conditions if they have not had any symptoms or treatment for 24 months." ........ well, thats not going to happen as this is on-going and the condition will always be there.

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

You cannot get insurance for something that has already presented itself and is ongoing.

You can join your own vet's budget plan which might cost something like £50 a month (guess only-ask your vet-could be anything) and that will smooth the costs over the year.

I wouldn't have taken out insurance for a cat either. I wouldn't regret making that decision though no matter what happens. It's a choice you make. You either self-insure as you've done (as I would do) and hope the claims you could have made don't exceed the cost of the premiums and excess. Remember the insurance company isn't a charity, they are in this for profit so the "average" consumer over the life of the animal always loses out.

So now it's up to you. How bad is the cat affected? What has the vet suggested for treatment?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Firstly I really hope that your cat is going to be ok? I would talk to your vet.

I have never had any pet insurance as I have always found that there are just far too many exclusions and even if you do have it trying to renew with an expensive life time treatment the cost can be ridiculously expensive.

That said there are lots of people who do insurance. So if is a personal choice.

My cats and dogs who are all healthy, ( thank god ) mischievous, normal wonderful pets have all had to go the vets. My Dog |( springer spaniel ) cut his eye on a hedge while out for a walk ) operation - £700.

My Cat Oscar? He is a one cat disaster zone. You name it he has done it. My other Cat Ben has an over active tear duct. But still when I add up the costs even with yearly check ups and jabs it is still in my case cheaper to pay as and when.

Just as the previous post said I would talk to your vet.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • lara400
    lara400 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Hi - thanks for the replies.

The cat (Ginger) seems to have quite severe neurological problems in that it shakes all the time (even when still). The vet was kind enough to take videos of the cat whilst walking and could see that it had a problem whilst walking as well. Took blood sample yesterday and found that nothing was wrong, did a "full blood profile" (£78!) and did not find anything wrong as well. Finally, he will be emailing some neurological doctors the videos he took and his assessment and will firstly just see what the doctors state via email - so no cost to me thankfully for now on that side.

However, he did say it will get progressively worse and worse and its not looking good - I pretty much know there is no "cure" and just treatment to help its quality of life - the vet said that the cost of taking to a neurologist and going through all that can cost in the thousands - really not something I can ever afford I'm afraid to say.

I already have the vet budget plan that helps and I agree with the statement about not taking out insurance - tbh, I just could not afford it but this past day I have kind of regretted it a bit (still not enough to force me to take out insurance for its sibling though).

He will still be loved and looked after by us and hopefully all we can do is make life easier as it goes on and on - I have a feeling it will end up similar to this cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIx7YJRxqCk
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Poor little cat. My favoured dog breed (cavalier) has a bad history of syringomyelia ,a nerve disorder, which can be minor or so severe and painful that the only way is pts.

Surgery, even for human neurological problems is hit and miss and I believe more so for animals, who are unable to communicate as we do.

Gabapentin is widely used and is not an expensive drug, so perhaps taking drugs is the way to go, without risking surgery, which may not work or even be suitable, anyway.

I have never insured my dogs , over 40+ years and even after having some really sick ones think I am in the position of owing them.

I and some people I have chatted with , believe that something very expensive, is probably very invasive and not fair to put our pets through. I would never go the surgery route, unless for something known to be cured without long term convalescence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure