Replacement of chipboard flooring

Options
The house was built in 1980s. The old chipboard in all the upstairs rooms has broken through. The quote is for removal and installation of new P5 tongue and groove chipboard in 3 bedrooms and the landing. Estimated area is 35sqm. Quote is £2240+VAT. Does this sound right?

Thanks

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds extortionate. But you do not say about removing floor finishes, nor furniture, nor access, nor any specification for the work

I do not know why the chipboard has broken through - I have never come across this. Perhaps the rooms have been used as a dance floor?

I am also wondering if the wrong thickness was put down - too thin a sheet allowing a scimp and bodge. Or are there flaws with the joists, or were the sheets laid the wrong way, or no noggins used. All this is for you to decide, but with one failure under your belt, you need to be on your toes to make sure the same does not happen again

A general handyman, or a carpenter, should do the work in a good day. Say £150-300 labour and £100 materials. Then you remove the chipboard waste - this will save a skip or paying for a trip to dispose of it.

If the sheets are glued to the joists then add to the price, but only you know if this is the case.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most chipboard floors go under the walls ....

It's more than a days work, maybe 3-5 days as the skirtings and other finishes will need to be removed
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    andyhop wrote: »
    Most chipboard floors go under the walls ....

It's more than a days work, maybe 3-5 days as the skirtings and other finishes will need to be removed

I would nog out and not go under the walls. The only proviso being has the correct thickness of chipboard been used?

35sqm is tiddly, so the house may be tiddly, or is it patches because the area is so small? I do not believe drastic action is warranted, nor cost effective.

I would be prepared to say two days tops - but none of us have seen the job
  • mustardtree6
    mustardtree6 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 June 2016 at 9:37PM
    Options
    The chipboard has broken through because the children kept jumping on it and it is several patches in each bedroom and landing. We will be moving all the furniture, lifting all the carpets and skirting. So the builder would just come in and basically remove the old chipboard and put down new chipboard. I think the old chipboard was 18mm but I don't know what the distance between the joist was or whether the old chipboard was put down the wrong way. I did think it was a bit pricey and was thinking of doing it myself but I just don't have the time with work but actually thinking about it, I'm tempted to do it myself...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure