Help please mediaition courts where to start

Options
Hi, Long time lurker on this forum. first time posting. Basically my partner hasn't seen his daughter for over 2 years she is now 4. he has tried many of times messaging the mother to no reply. I understand now the law has changed and you have to go to mediation before going to court. As we are both on minimum wage yet working full time we don't think well be entitled to legal aid. My questions are how to set the ball rolling we don't think she will show up to mediation but we just see this as a stepping stone for court. we would like to the know the costs involved for representing yourself at court and how knowledgeable you have to be with the legal side of things. TIA

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Not quite.

The courts expect you to try mediation first, which is part of the C100 (or was it C1) form. (apologies my memory fails me at the minute, but it's a section in one of those forms, pretty sure its C100.

The law hasn't really changed at all, courts always want people to try mediation first. It has a huge success rate.

However mediation cannot be forced. Contact you're local centre. If the ex partner is entitled to legal aid the first session is free.

Court cost initially are £215.

You need a reasonable knowledge of the law, but most important will be the cafcass report
  • youngbudgeteer
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for replying.

The ex we think will not go for mediation she does not reply to and messages/texts/letters. Basically she lives with her mother still and the mother has told her if she lets my partner see his daughter she cannot live there anymore so the ex does as she says.

Is there a fee for the cafcass report?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for replying.

The ex we think will not go for mediation she does not reply to and messages/texts/letters. Basically she lives with her mother still and the mother has told her if she lets my partner see his daughter she cannot live there anymore so the ex does as she says.

Is there a fee for the cafcass report?

No, it's covered as part of the court fees.

Ignoring mediation (and the reason for refusal) could lead to the ex losing significantly.
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know why the mother won't allow your partner to see the child? Is there anyway she could be reassured over any concerns she may have?
    The reason I ask is that child arrangements orders made by courts are notoriously difficult to enforce if a parent with care is adamant they will be obstructive. This can lead to repeated returns to court to try to enforce orders, at increasing costs.
    If there's any chance of an amicable resolution you partner should try this again first.
    'Families need fathers' (sorry, don't know contact details, but you can Google) give free advice and support to people in your partner's situation and are worth talking to before paying solicitors fees.

Put your hands up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport