London Capital & Finance

Options

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    fairguy wrote: »
    . That said, I am thinking of investing in London Capital & Finance. Thus far, they have never defaulted on any investment.
    I expect that's what Bernie Madoff told his clients and prospects too. He didn't default on any of it until he did default on a massive amount of it.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Of course it is not FSCS protected, but it is FSCS monitored. The reason it's not FSCS protected is because it is a somewhat high risk investment, you can't have your cake & eat all of it! ISAs, High St bank savings & low risk, low interest bonds will be protected, but not higher risk bonds. That said, I am thinking of investing in London Capital & Finance. Thus far, they have never defaulted on any investment.

P2P would be lower risk and better return.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thus far, they have never defaulted on any investment.

No scheme that failed had previously defaulted either.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Of course it is not FSCS protected, but it is FSCS monitored. The reason it's not FSCS protected is because it is a somewhat high risk investment, you can't have your cake & eat all of it! ISAs, High St bank savings & low risk, low interest bonds will be protected, but not higher risk bonds. That said, I am thinking of investing in London Capital & Finance. Thus far, they have never defaulted on any investment.

I would not touch this with a barge pole and I haven't read anything about the investment. The mere mention of 8% return is enough to say to me that it's risky and dubious. Stick with low cost trackers if you what the chance to make some decent returns, but have a plan to survive losses too.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Of course it is not FSCS protected, but it is FSCS monitored.
    What??? indeed, with an additional "....the hell is that supposed to mean?" appended for good measure. In what way would a compensation scheme 'monitor' an unregulated investment that is outside of its scope?
    That said, I am thinking of investing in London Capital & Finance.
    Great, where do I sign? From someone whose sole contribution to the forum before this post involved promoting gravy granules, I'm sure you'll understand why posters would add a pinch of salt to this one....
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I googled the investment and I was right to be dubious about it..........do yourself a favor and run a mile from this sort of product.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

So you're saying that because they never defaulted on any investment you're confident they won't default on yours? But I thought you said it was a high risk investment and you can't have your cake and eat it? Which is it - is it a low risk investment that never defaults or is it a high risk investment that easily could?

And please do elaborate on what on earth "FSCS monitored" means.
  • timeuk
    timeuk Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I was very happy with the way my bond was handled by pleasant and efficient staff.which gave me confidence to reinvest
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    timeuk wrote: »
    I was very happy with the way my bond was handled by pleasant and efficient staff.which gave me confidence to reinvest

I have dealt with a number of scams over the years (some just in time to prevent. Others to try and sort out the mess). In all cases, the people said that the scammer was really nice and everything seemed very efficient. That is not a measure of quality.

The L&C bond is not a scam. It is however, a very high-risk unregulated investment with no FSCS protection if it fails. You can lose 100% of the money. It is not a retail investment product and you get none of the protections or regulatory requirements that go with regulated investment products. It is not meant to be advertised to retail consumers. Yet it seems to find it on various sites that do. Mainly as they pay a referral fee and those unregulated sites earn from it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Gambler101
    Gambler101 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't touch this with a 100ft barge pole.

These things always sound wonderful right up until the moment you dont get your investment back and lose everything.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure