Exploding glass tumbler

Options
A few days ago, I bought some Duralex glass tumblers which are made from toughened glass. This morning, doing the washing up, one exploded whilst just sitting on the drainer. The noise was impressive, a huge 'Bang' like a shotgun going off, and then bits of glass flew everywhere, including into my hair.

Could anyone tell me if this is a fault with the product or is it just something that can happen? I thought toughened glass would be safer and it has shocked me the way it sprayed everywhere.

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    A few days ago, I bought some Duralex glass tumblers which are made from toughened glass. This morning, doing the washing up, one exploded whilst just sitting on the drainer. The noise was impressive, a huge 'Bang' like a shotgun going off, and then bits of glass flew everywhere, including into my hair.

Could anyone tell me if this is a fault with the product or is it just something that can happen? I thought toughened glass would be safer and it has shocked me the way it sprayed everywhere.

It's something that can happen. Something to do with sudden temperature changes and a slight fault in the glass.

The toughened glass is safer. The shards of glass are not sharp they are safe to pick up.

You can get a replacement if you can be bothered to go back to the shop with your receipt.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you. So does this also happen with normal glass, not just toughened? I'm all nervous about them now :(. If it's less likely to happen with regular glass then I'd rather replace these.

The pieces were certainly sharp. I've small cuts on my hands from removing the stuff from my hair.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Thank you. So does this also happen with normal glass, not just toughened? I'm all nervous about them now :(. If it's less likely to happen with regular glass then I'd rather replace these.

The pieces were certainly sharp. I've small cuts on my hands from removing the stuff from my hair.

If there's a small fault in normal glass it's more likely to break silently in the hot water and be a single very sharp piece of glass so always be careful when washing glasses. They can break without much effort. The slightest knock and change of temperature can trigger a break.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Well it is clearly safer as you aren't cut to pieces.
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    I think I'll buy some plastic ones.
  • Alienna
    Alienna Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely something that can happen!

It's happened to me twice - when emptying dishwashers at work, and also on holiday as a waitress was pouring a drink into my glass.

It's something to do with the temperature change. :(
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Arcoroc glasses and cups in the 70s had a reputation for spontaneously exploding.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    It can even happen with oven doors. We've had threads here about that before.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Toughened glass is designed to do just that - it's a lot safer, if slightly dramatic, when it fails! And it handles temperature gradients extremely well by having exceptional thermal conductivity.

Normal glass won't be so dramatic, but is more likely to break unsafely.
  • ripplyuk
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Toughened glass is designed to do just that - it's a lot safer, if slightly dramatic, when it fails!

It sure is dramatic. I think it's given me a phobia! Now I've started worrying about my Corelle plates which are made of some sort of glass.

I'm still finding pieces all over the kitchen. I think I'd prefer regular glass. At least it won't terrify me by exploding everywhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure