PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thread for Wednesday 22nd June 2016

Options
Hard_Up_Hester
Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 22 June 2016 at 2:25PM in Old style MoneySaving
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine
Chin up, Titus out.

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Hugs to those in need.

I made it to the Writers Circle last night, I missed 3 in a row because of hubby's shifts. They have suggested putting some of my scribbles into competitions as they think I have a chance of winning.

We are having IT problems at work, no email access etc, I get 90% of my work via email, aargh.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone. Thanks for the thread HH.

Lots of bright white clouds with wisps of blue streaked through them, perhaps there is hope for some sun.

I've dug out more paperwork which can be scanned and then burnt. Lots of my undergraduate assignments were lurking around the house, I'd hate to not have them as I invested a lot of time and effort in them. However, I don't need to have hard copies anymore, so they'll go under the scanner.

There's a few work related emails to respond to, after the 'warning' emails I sent out last week I've now received four requests for extensions. At least they have now got in touch at last.

Camelot - hope you had a great evening last night.

Dumpling - I sure you had success at SW.

RR - my fingers are still crossed for you.

Lainey - I've been following your problems with Bill and really hope the retirement place works out.

Happy Wednesday everyone.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Not looking too good out there today, hope it cheers up as it's the school trip today - I'm not going for the first time in years as office staff have to stay and work! Quite looking forward to having a day with no interruptions.

Had a good catch up with my work friend last night but my she can talk! Had a grilled halloumi salad that was delicious but there were far too many onions - I picked most of them out but ended up with a tummy full of wind last night!

Any news RR?
    Hope you find somewhere suitable for Bill Lainey.

Salad made for lunch with home grown strawberries for after - looking forward to it already!

Have a good day. Take care. XX
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning and thank you for the thread HuH.

I have one job to do today, then the rest of the day will be a real day off. There are days when I just think I would so much like to retire but then I remember that I go to work to keep us fed and housed. Bother.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning [/FONT] :hello:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scampi's mate Milo is coming round for a couple of hours this morning. The garden is very wet and muddy, this is going to be fun – for them :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This afternoon I'll probably be mopping muddy floors and cleaning kitchen cupboard doors, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I have a small collection of tatty second hand furniture – footstools, a table and a chair. I was full of enthusiasm when they arrived and spent time looking at blogs and pinterest for ideas and have looked at lots of different material, but I can't quite find what I'm looking for. I don't actually know what I want, but I'll know it when I see it. Really must try harder, these things will be useful when they've had a bit of care and attention. At the moment, they're taking up space and getting in everyone's way :D
    [/FONT]
    :beer:
    Bulletproof
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Thank you all for the good wishes, I think it went well but you never really know do you ? my presentation went well and lasted 9 mins 36 seconds of the 10 mins allowed ! I was the only one who did a powerpoint too, the others just had theirs on paper. I don't think I will get the job as they mentioned the 5 years experience a few times (which I don't have) but I've not lost anything if I don't get it, we should hear by Friday so not too long to wait, thanks again you lovely lot xxx

Off to mums for dinner tonight she is doing ham egg and chips which I am really looking forward to !

Need to do a wash tonight and empty the dw which will go on this morning.

Have good days all and thanks again xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,678 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 June 2016 at 7:17AM
    Options
    Morning everyone. A lovely sunny start here and feels really warm. I got a mountain of washing dry outside yesterday so none to hang out this morning which is a shame!

I am skiving off today and leaving Mr TA to his own devices (that'll be watching tv all day then!) I am off to Skipton on the bus with my friend. It's ages since our last day out what with hospital stays, holidays etc. We'll have our usual wander up and down the market stalls, popping in the charity shops we pass, and finish off with lunch and a bottle of wine in the Red Lion as usual. The coach trippers will be out in force so we will leave lunch till they have all departed. Just an outside chance of a rogue shower is forecast so better take my brolly.

There's a regular stall there selling M & S (and other chain store) seconds and we always have a good browse on there. DD has asked me to keep an eye out for some of the ladies leisure trousers she gets DGD11 for school. Sod's law they'll have all sizes bar what she wants!

There is a dish of spaghetti carbonara defrosting for Mr TA to pop in the mw for his lunch so that'll keep him happy till I get back home!

Have a good day all and (((HUGS))) where wanted/needed. RR how did the interview go? DUMPLING fingers crossed you had a good loss yesterday at SW. Take care all xx

Sorry RR we were double posting! Fingers crossed for the outcome of the interview which sounded to go well!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Not wishing to bring the thread down but I spent most of yesterday in tears or yelling as DS1 (17) who lied about where he was on Saturday night and also about how he injured his foot. Can't go into it here but it really is the last thing we need as we are under a lot of strain already with DH being out of work, and my work being crazy. I feel suffocated and actually had to stop training at the gym yesterday as I had chest pains. My boss was very good and let me blubb for an hour. She gave me some sound advice about talking to DS which promptly went out the window when he was back chatting me.

Inset day for DD and DS2 today and no college for DS1. I will be going to knitting group this morning then work this afternoon. Double youth club shift tonight. The less time I spend in this house right now, the better. Sorry for the gloom!

Hope you all have a good day.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 June 2016 at 7:35AM
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Dull and overcast here but warm.

Billy Bob says neigh, neigh, whicker which translates to thank you for all the warm wishes, Mum is on the case :heartpuls

Had a productive afternoon yesterday, when to the nursery as had a hankering for a patio rose after seeing some lovely ones on holibobs. Finally decided on a beautiful sun yellow one, put it in a dark blue pot and it now stands next to my back door which is a lovely sunny spot. Also picked up a dark pink rambling one to plant outside my dining room window, there was SO many plants I liked the look of think I was very restrained. Some ladies go mad in a shoe shop, for me it's a nursery every time, have to take cash so don't overspend :rotfl:
    Today it's work and then will pick up some shopping on way home before popping over to see Bill.

RR the interview sounds like it went well and I would be impressed that you went to the effort of a power point presentation, good experience even if nothing come of it.
    TA enjoy your day out
    Scampi enjoy your play date

Have a good day, take care folks x

Hugs Coxy sorry to hear that had such a bad day x
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Oh Coxy you sound to be in utter despair just now. I remember well the trials of a teenage son (though mine's now 41 and I still worry about him with the stressful relationship he is in). I remember being at my wit's end with him through his teenage years but he grew out of it. I also had my DH out of work for a good few months when the children were small and I didn't know where the next penny was coming from. Chin up, these bad times will eventually pass xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure