Overpay mortgage or save elsewhere

Options
Hi all

Hoping to move to bigger house so trying to save for a 10% deposit (max £20k).

Currently owe circa £80k on mortgage with house probably worth £85-90k. Mortgage is on variable rate of 2.49% and have been over paying £220 per month for the last 3.5 years. Mortgage payment without overpayment is £449. Rather than overpay (to build up equity) would I be better off saving this in i.e. Club Lloyds Monthly saver (4%) (we have 2 of these accounts)?

Currently have £11k saved.

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Math is simple. 4%is better than 2.49%
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 June 2016 at 9:38PM
    Options
    Well 4 is bigger than 2.49, so there's your answer!

As a couple you can get £13.5K making 5% AER in current accounts (Nationwide & TSB), so unless you've both already had a year with Nationwide FlexDirect that's where your £11K should be to get the best return.

As you know, you can also get another £15K making 4% at Lloyds.

So a total of £28.5K at 4-5% AER against a mortgage rate of around half that. Even more if you use regular savers.

Stop overpaying/start saving! Can you get back what you've already overpaid? If so, maybe consider that too.
  • FrankRizzo
    FrankRizzo Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a couple you can get £13.5K making 5% AER in current accounts (Nationwide & TSB), so unless you've both already had a year with Nationwide FlexDirect that's where your £11K should be to get the best return.

How much can each person save in how many accounts for Nationwide & TSB?
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £2.5k/£2k per account. one sole, one joint each, making three per couple, per bank.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • hufc2002
    hufc2002 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Of the £11k, £10k of this is split between 2 Club Lloyds accounts (£5k per account) and the remainder in Club Lloyds Monthly Savers (again we have 2 of these).

I think I will cancel the monthly overpayment and put the £220 in the Club Lloyds Monthly Saver instead.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ps. Curious - your ltv are high but mortgage rate is low. You sure you given us right numbers?
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • elwappo
    elwappo Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Hang on. A Club Lloyds Monthly Saver will give you around £80 interest for the year saving the maximum of £4800 based on a monthly compound interest.

I think I'd rather be paying off the mortgage balance (and the interest saved), compared to the measly interest gained on £4800? Am I missing something?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elwappo wrote: »
    Hang on. A Club Lloyds Monthly Saver will give you around £80 interest for the year saving the maximum of £4800 based on a monthly compound interest.
    The interest is £104.

And it doesn't compound monthly. How can it?...it's paid annually.
    I think I'd rather be paying off the mortgage balance (and the interest saved), compared to the measly interest gained on £4800? Am I missing something?
    Each day the money in the regular saver earns 4% / 365, but costs you only 2.49% / 365 on the mortgage.

So you borrow at 2.49% APR and save it at 4% AER. Even if there's BR tax due (there may not be), you're still up!

Even better if OP was to save it at 5% as I said earlier, rather than settling for 4%.
  • FrankRizzo
    FrankRizzo Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember that the more u pay into mortgage the better likely hood of getting a better mortgage rate when the time comes. So long term saved by mortgage vs savings acc would prob be better.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    FrankRizzo wrote: »
    Remember that the more u pay into mortgage the better likely hood of getting a better mortgage rate when the time comes. So long term saved by mortgage vs savings acc would prob be better.
    Well, "when the time comes" and your mortgage deal expires or you're getting a new deal on a new bigger house and mortgage, if you have a big pile of cash saved( including all that nice interest), you can easily choose to pay off more of the mortgage and access that lower mortgage rate that comes with a lower loan-to-value ratio.

If instead you wanted/needed the cash in your hand you would have to go to a lender and politely ask then to loan it you back.

You have a greater flexibility of choice if you save the cash instead of overpay.

If your overpaying now would let you access a better loan rate on your whole mortgage now, then that's probably worth doing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure