Can Council House be taken away?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
7 replies 1.9K views
kevin1010kevin1010 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Just looking for some advice,

I had a serious illness (cancer) for the last five years but have been in remission for the last year and the prospects are now good, I have been receiving ESA and DLA Higher Rate Mobility since 2011 which ends in September 2016, i will not be applying for DLA again.

But i would like to continue on ESA, i have had depression for years way before i got cancer and the DSS know about this, but i recently was given a council house out of the blue id been on the waiting list for years, but i got in the post an ESA Capacity to work questionnaire which im going to fill out honestly- that ive been an alcoholic for years and i will tell my Doctor the same.

My question is, if i admit that im an alcoholic will they take my council house from me and put me in a complex for alcoholics because i didnt tell them about my situation on my application form?

If i go to my Doctor and tell him im an alcoholic to support my new ESA Claim could he inform the Council and could i lose my Council house? Any information appreciated, thanks

Replies

• AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    Being an alcoholic wouldn't be enough for you to lose your house. And housing for alcoholics of the sort you mention is like hens teeth, so it's unlikely you'd be able to get one even if you asked.

The only risk to your home is if you're breaking the terms of your tenancy agreement. So, if you're being noisy and disorderly and disrupting the neighbours, for instance. Although even then you'd have to be really, really bad to get a warning, let alone be kicked out. As an example, my neighbours include a prostitute and a drug dealer and there's no sign of them being kicked out.

You're slightly more vulnerable if you're still in your introductory tenancy, but as long as your rent gets paid and you don't trash the place you should be fine.

It might be worth speaking to your housing provider though as they might be able to offer you some support.

I'm not an expert, but I live in a council flat and I have mental health problems. I'm a hoarder and at it's worst it was starting to become a breach of my tenancy. There was no question of throwing me out though, they worked with me to try and find the best way of dealing with it. I also used to be on my local tenants and residents association, where we'd see both sides of the problem.

I'm talking about council housing though, it might be different with a housing association.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with a housing association, the situation is much as Ames describes. I'd encourage you to be honest with your GP and get as much help and support as you can.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • jonty151jonty151 Forumite
    12 Posts
    Thanks for advice
  • jonty151jonty151 Forumite
    12 Posts
    Forgot to ask if I admit to a Doctor that I'm an alcoholic does he have to tell the DVLA and will my driving licence be restricted or worse?
  • faerielightfaerielight Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you're driving whilst drunk or over the limit the next day, I imagine
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonty151 wrote: »
    Forgot to ask if I admit to a Doctor that I'm an alcoholic does he have to tell the DVLA and will my driving licence be restricted or worse?
    I am not sure, but please be honest with your GP.

I know one person who did have to surrender his licence temporarily, but he'd been hospitalised, nearly died with organ failure, so it may have been as a result of that.

And if you are in the habit of driving while over the limit, you're at serious risk a) of losing your licence and b) of having or causing a serious accident.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    GP is required to report [11 March 2016 - alcohol or substance misuse and dependence] to DVLA.

The reasons for terminating tenancy are nothing to do with alcohol or substance misuse and dependence but behaviour.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals