We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

going bankrupt on monday

Options
well going bankrupt on monday my problems is lots i had 26 cards and loans stopped paying over 7 years back and waited till they came up to last year thought doing quiet well nowi cant afford the cccjsmy debt is over 100,000 how i did this i cant work out, the advice i got from a financial bod was wait well he has died now so will never know if this was good or bad , after 7 years i know what i should have done back then , i had to start again then new job i acted like a bankrupt for years learnt not to spend what i didnt have , but as i say now all the ccjs have caught up and i havnt any money left at the end of month .
what in want to know is after i go bankrupt do they come roungd the house and take everything even the computer , i nhavnt a lot to take as iv sold most of it on ebay amazon this last year to make the ccjs payments, any way i need some sleep to stop worrying about monday, my last court appearance was a long time ago for speeding then the judge shouted at me so thats what im expecting now thanks if anyone reads this

Comments

• wherediditallgo
    Options
    The judge won't be shouting at you, & people won't be coming round to your home to remove items either. If you've filled in your SOA already, you'll know the majority of the questions that can be asked. I suggested you read the bankruptcy info on the Insolvency Service website if you haven't looked at it yet. Have you taken professional advice on your situation? If you haven't, please try to ring one of these organisations before you go to court (National Debtline, Consumer Credit Counselling Service or the CAB) - you'll be asked at court whether you've taken professional advice, & if you haven't, that's one of the few reasons they can refuse to make you BR on the day - they'll let you do so at a later date, but they'll want to be sure that you know what you're doing & are as informed as you can be about the consequences.

If you have taken professional advice, the only thing I can say to you is try not to worry too much over the weekend. Many people don't even see the judge (it's just a matter of someone stamping their paperwork), but if you do meet him, they'll be more interested in your future welfare than condemning you for past behaviour. :)
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    NO ! You will be allowed to keep all your belongings neccessary for your normal domestic life. What this means is that all tv's, dvd players, computers etc you will keep ( even if you have a portable tv / video / dvd in each bedroom as well) No one is coming round to your house to check and it would nt matter if they did

Sleep well

Best wishes
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • madoldbat
    Options
    The two previous posters are correct ,please dont worry about anyone coming round they dont.Our judge was lovely, far more concerned that we came away feeling we had made a positive step towards a better life than condemming us for mistakes.Please ensure you call CCCS,Nat.Debt.Line.
    Good luck for tommorow.It realy is not as bad as imagin it to be.
    Keeep posting and let us know how you get on.
    Some of the best lessons we ever learn,we learn from our mistakes and failures.the error of the past is the success and wisdom of the future.:wave: :beer::j
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    my last court appearance was a long time ago for speeding then the judge shouted at me so thats what im expecting now thanks if anyone reads this

You will find a COMPLETELY different approach from the judge on Monday.
    Good Luck.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Just to confirm everyone else's statements. :D

The courts/judges are normally friendly, non-judgemental and interested in your welfare before most other things.

Virtually everyone here who has anticipated it being a scary and intimidating experience has been pleasantly surprised on the day.

EDIT: Don't even bother listing those household items on the forms, unless any individual item is worth several thousand. It's just not worth the OR's time.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • sammahootexpress
    Options
    rang the cccs seen cab numerous times over the years even the other day even went saw a lawer/ solicter waiste a monye my parents paid on that as cab told me the same as he , thanks every one for their comments bye
  • backontheup
    Options
    I hope it goes well today Sam. it will not be half as scary as you expect.

xx
    DISCHARGED 12th December 2007:T

BSC Member #91

Proud to have dealt with my debts
  • nicky7175
    Options
    Yeah just to say again hope all goes ok for you xx
  • scaredwitless32
    Options
    Hope everything went ok today? Please let us all know :)
  • sammahootexpress
    Options
    was in with the judge for 2 minutes ask me a few questions then waited around to speak on phone to the or office that was over in a few minutes they just confiming who i was they said ill be contacted in 5 - 7 days , this office bod in my view didnt know what she was doing unless all the pamphlets u read on this r crap she even said shell contact my bank and couldnt see any rreason i couldnt keep my account open , well dont beleive that, so spent afternoon ringing banks for new account thats not easy ,got halifax sending me forms. any way for the first time in months i slept well last night and didnt have the dream of box of papers is beside the bed which is just a dream as i cant find it , and have teard the house down looking night after night , so now iv got to wait for the interview with the or to explain how i got in this mess, thats going to take weeks to explain thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport