Engagement Ring Advice.

Options
2»

Comments

• Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    I purchased a ring with a 1ct center diamond and 0.5 ct diamonds around the band and encircling the diamond for £2k. You'll either save a bunch of money or get much more for you buck if you go to a jeweler directly.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Try going to an actual ring designer, I had mine done by http://www.catherinebuddjewellery.co.uk/ to my own design and cost £850, valued at £1100.
    The process was straight forward, I got to choose everything (she helped massively as I am not very girly and didn't know what I was doing!!), and got the ring exactly how I wanted it.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »

I wouldn't be disappointed if someone spent nearly four grand on a ring - I'd be livid!
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't be disappointed if someone spent nearly four grand on a ring - I'd be livid!

Ditto! We had always planned to try and buy a house after we were married and that is a huge chunk of money. I told my OH that a ring wasn't important but he's kinda traditional. He bought a 9ct rose gold ring with an amethyst (my favourite stone- not really one for diamonds!) and it's beautiful. The cost of my engagement and both our wedding rings came in at well under 1k. We went to the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham. Not super cheap if you want diamonds but you get a lot more for your money than in a High Street Chain.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good luck with the proposal.

Or maybe it's happened already.

Did you get this ring? What happened?

For what it's worth, I think the ring is just beautiful and if you want to spend that money then do it. If you know she will love it then that is very special in itself.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    Try Samara James http://www.samarajames.com/ My engagement ring came from them lovely box it came in fantastic price :)

Good luck
  • buildhigh2000
    Options
    I'd say the carat size is a good choice. My opinion is that anything below 0.25 carat looks small on most people, but half a carat is well above average and will be an impressive piece of jewellery.

I don't think a comparison to a smaller carat diamond is fair in terms of price. A half carat diamond will cost a lot more than quarter carat diamond, whilst a one carat diamond should cost more than double a half carat of similar quality.

The clarity and colour are fairly low grade for the price, although a high grade larger diamond will be very expensive. You might notice differences in sparkle if you placed two diamonds side by side, but to someone who isn't a jeweller the likelihood is that they will be very impressed.

Part of the reason for the high price is the ring material, since platinum tends to be the most expensive of all the engagement ring options. One thing to consider - you will want to get a wedding ring which is also platinum or the harder material will very slowly wear away the gold. So, you'll need to consider that with your budget as platinum wedding bands are expensive (hundreds rather than thousands of pounds).

High street retailers are generally very good in terms of being able to see the ring (which is certainly preferable) and for dealing with returns, resizing and similar problems. Inevitably - as others have said - their prices are generally higher than the pile 'em high online only retailers who don't have the same overheads and shiny high street stores. In my experience, high street retailers come much closer to the best prices during sales or if you can find a discount code. I guess it depends how much of a rush you are in.

Good luck!

Source: Cheap Engagement Rings Guide
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family