🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Which account to open?

Options
I have 3x BOS accounts and earn 3% on 5K and I have maxed out 2 of them and will be closing them all in September coz of the change of T&Cs.
I want to open a new account but I’m stuck and cant make up my mind: TSB Classic plus or Nationwide Flexdirect as both give 5% interest.

Please advice?
What happens if you push this button?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 June 2016 at 10:45AM
    Options
    So you'll have at least £10K at the end of August and you're looking to open ONE account...either TSB or Nationwide, which will take a max of £2.5K. Are you going to spend the other £7.5K+?

Edited to add: Thank you for helping prolong the 3% AER on £15K of my savings by not going to the trouble of finding yourself 6 DDs. :)
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1 Nationwide Flexdirect, 1 TSB Plus and a couple of Tesco should do the trick.
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    All the 3x BoS accounts will be empty by August as I will be investing that money. So would like to open a new account and start saving again.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So, one account will let you deposit £2,500 and has a regular saver taking an additional £500 per month. It also has a switching incentive (if you can find 2 DDs to place on one of the BoS accounts), which would near double your return in the first year...equating to 10%.

The other account will let you deposit only £2,000 initially and only £250 a month in its regular saver.

Any closer to making your decision?
  • kingrulzuk
    Options
    Change of T&Cs and DDs so after 15 years with BOS want to move.
    I can save around 2k a month but I don’t have any DDs and I can’t keep the money for too long as when I need it I have to take it out and invest.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    kingrulzuk wrote: »
    Change of T&Cs and DDs so after 15 years with BOS want to move.
    I can save around 2k a month but I don’t have any DDs and I can’t keep the money for too long as when I need it I have to take it out and invest.

Yes you do:)
  • kingrulzuk
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    Yes you do:)

How you mean?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    kingrulzuk wrote: »
    How you mean?

There are dozens of threads on this & the Budgeting & Banking boards which tell you, in some detail, how you can set up DDs on current accounts which pull money into savings accounts in your name.

I am not trying to be difficult, but I fear that the institution concerned, might decide to withdraw the facility if they think it is being 'abused'. Just my opninion:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport