Options
13»

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    I am under the impression that there have been regulations in place for many years that make it an offence to advertise as if you are based in one location when in reality you are based somewhere else.

I am also reminded of several Rogue Traders or Watchdog episodes in a similar vein. These featured TV repair or 'white goods' repair adverts showing London numbers but with the TV or appliance then taken to the midlands and then either never seen again or returned in a worse state than when it had first been taken away for repair.

I'll take "Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (commonly referred to as the CPRs)" for £500 please bob.

Although its only states that a practice may be unfair if the trader misleads the consumer (whether by action or omission) as to certain info - such as the geographical/commercial origin of goods they are selling and that the misleading action/omission causes (or is likely to cause) the average consumer to take a different action as a result.

Now while it may be an offence, that doesn't automatically give the OP the right to cancel the contract or not to pay the call out - OP would have to go to court and convince a judge of that. Where with the Consumer Contract (Information, Cancellation & Additional Charges) Regulations, it does set down what happens if the trader doesn't comply and what rights the consumer has.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Sparrow121
    Sparrow121 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi unholyangel
    Iam not questioning anything you have posted but is there not also a morality issue here and possibly exclusions? The two main questions i would have would be around
    - i have never had a private hire taxi inform me of the price unless i ask. (but i would never run out on them)
    - surely a verbal contract, as in this case has to count for something

With regards to the morality of this issue I would also question the morals of a business which seeks to disguise it's true location and mislead it's potential customers. There was approx 24 hours or so from the phone call for a contract to be emailed and I would assume this would be something they would easily have to hand as it's the nature of their business. The guy that came to collect the TV candidly advised he believes his boss deliberately hides his location. If he had emailed before pickup his true location would have come to light and there would have been time to cancel.

If I called a local taxi company I wouldn't expect it to be coming from London for the fare.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kristi Allen, did you really sign up to MSE forums especially so you could make that post on a thread that is nearly two years old?
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Kristi Allen, did you really sign up to MSE forums especially so you could make that post on a thread that is nearly two years old?
    I think it's :spam:
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There is some exemptions and delivery of information that affects the way I communicate with customers.

Delivery of key information
    The information should be given in writing in a 'durable medium' such as on paper or by email.
    Alternatively, it can be provided in a way appropriate to the means of communication, so verbally if the contract is made by phone. This means when I visit a property to fix a boiler I can just tell them their rights, good luck proving I didn't.

Cancelling services
    If you request a service starts straightaway In this instance you will still have the right to cancel, but you must pay for the value of the service that is provided up to the point you cancel.
    In my case the service starts as soon as I take out a screwdriver and take off the first screw.

Exemptions There are some contracts where you won!!!8217;t have a right to cancel a service. For example, hotel bookings, flights, car hire, concerts and other event tickets, or where the trader is carrying out urgent repairs or maintenance.

So please don't get all carried away with this, durable medium nonsense, it's not relevant for your average window cleaner or repair man.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure