MSE News: Sainsbury's £2.60 prosecco trick deal suddenly pulled

Options
Sainsbury's appears to have outrageously reneged on its £2.60 prosecco trick, after sending a mass email to customers tonight who'd already taken up the offer, telling them they now won't get the deal if their fizz hasn't already arrived.
Read the full story:
'Sainsbury's £2.60 prosecco trick deal suddenly pulled - your rights if you've already ordered'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably due to minimum alcohol pricing rather than to shaft customers.
  • BrentMeister
    BrentMeister Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Win some, lose some.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 1 June 2016 at 10:38AM
    Options
    I don't think the adjective 'outrageous' goes far enough. Despicable, dishonourable, disgusting. How dare a company seek to change their offer to stop it from being abused, its not like 5 million+ people had been told about it. Oh wait.

First world problems, eh?
  • chrissy3634
    chrissy3634 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got the email about price change last night
    Surely if they have stock they should charge the price it was when order was placed .
    Now what I expect from Sainsbury!
  • GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sainsburys knew that the offer was being promoted in MSE - They knew for a week before changing the offer.
    They withdrew the offer - I cancelled my order.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • jaydeeuk1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Also funny how all these people now claim "They'll never order anything again from Sainsbury's" when you know full well next time there is a £5 a bottle of champagne offer they'll be straight on it.
  • GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Jaydee no one here has said the things you claim, if it does not concern you then why keep posting? Some people had access to buy something on offer - that they maybe could not afford at full price- then the terms changed at the last minute after they ordered. They are surprised, and disappointed. You seem quite scathing about that.
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • chrissy3634
    chrissy3634 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you to the MSE team for the updates re Sainsbury Prosecco orders
  • jaydeeuk1
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Jaydee no one here has said the things you claim, if it does not concern you then why keep posting? Some people had access to buy something on offer - that they maybe could not afford at full price- then the terms changed at the last minute after they ordered. They are surprised, and disappointed. You seem quite scathing about that.

From the article comments:

Dolores Gooden-Husbands • 9 hours ago
    "I have just cancelled my order which was due for delivery between 9pm and 10pm today. What annoyed me even more was being told the payment had already been taken and I would have to wait for a refund. I had taken the precaution of taking the available cash in my Bank Account out bar a few pounds, to prevent this from happening. At least this way I will not have to wait for a refund. I will never place another Grocery order with Sainsbury's. They wanted the unprecedented amount of new business this offer would bring if it was shared on the weekly MSE newsletter, then decided not to honour the terms of the deal even though they have the stock to deliver. I also emailed the Customer Service Team to cancel the order as when I cancelled it over the phone I was told I would not receive written confirmation that I had cancelled the order. I believe it is prudent of me to have written confirmation of the cancelled order for my own records."

Andy • 10 hours ago
    Due to have mine delivered this evening if not delivered I will not be shopping at sainsburys ever again

WD • 10 hours ago
    This has also happened to me.
    Order was due to be delivered today. They have now lost a potential future customer.

*Drops mic*
  • solentsusie
    solentsusie Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't see the email, which was sent to me just before 9pm last night and my order is due for delivery any moment now so we shall see what I have been charged.

I think that they have really shot themselves in the foot. It isn't that they are saying they don't have the availability to fulfill orders, it is that they are dropping the promotion due to, guess what, people taking them up on a promotion that they offered?!!

The email reads:

"We wanted to let you know that unfortunately due to the unprecedented demand the Taste The Difference Prosecco you ordered is no longer available on the promotion price of £7.50. This means that you will be charged the full price of £10 minus any discount that might apply, for example buy 6 bottles of wine and save 25%.

So that you don't lose out we would still like to honour the offer, we have therefore added the price difference as an e-voucher to your account which you can use the next time you shop online"

Well... surely if you wanted to honour the offer then you would just honour the offer and give the discount that was offered in the first place??

What they are attempting to do really makes no sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure