Divorce Advice!

Options
Hello I am looking for some advice I am currently acting on behalf of my mum who is 60+ years of age and was severely abused in all manner of means by my father who we both hate however we do not know where he is for over 15 years, he could be dead or alive but my mum is now wishing a divorce after getting over her strong held religious views. So I understand that she cannot go for the Scottish Simplified Divorce because she does not know his current whereabouts or know if he alive or not, so what can she do? because she does not want her assets going within a barge pole of it!!! Thank you in advance.

Comments

• coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Is there any way you can find out whether your father is alive or dead?

From a purely practical point of view, if he is dead there would be no need for a divorce.

That would be my starting point on this issue.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The best organisation for finding people is the Salvation Army.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd suggest that she speaks to a solicitor, if only for some initial advice. They will be able to give her an idea of her options and of any costs.

I assume that you (or she) have taken obvious steps such as googling to see if you can find any trace of your father?

There are many private detectives who can trace people if you need to identify where he is in order to progress.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello I am looking for some advice I am currently acting on behalf of my mum who is 60+ years of age and was severely abused in all manner of means by my father who we both hate however we do not know where he is for over 15 years, he could be dead or alive but my mum is now wishing a divorce after getting over her strong held religious views. So I understand that she cannot go for the Scottish Simplified Divorce because she does not know his current whereabouts or know if he alive or not, so what can she do? because she does not want her assets going within a barge pole of it!!! Thank you in advance.

Gosh, that was quick! It was only 24 hours earlier that you posted "My mum WILL NOT divorce my father due to strong religious reasons "!
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    Can't she do a will in the meantime?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business