EasyJet to turn away 'have a go' fliers who arrive with less than 30 minutes to go

Options
EasyJet is imposing a new rule which means anyone trying to pass through the security barriers with less than 30 minutes before take-off will be prevented from getting “airside” and sprinting to the gate – and could end up paying £80 to switch to another flight.

The airline has asked Gatwick to reprogramme its security barriers at which travellers have their boarding passes scanned to reject those with less than half an hour remaining before departure.

Previously, tardy passengers with no checked baggage were free to go through the security check and hurry to the departure gate in the hope of getting on the flight.

Independent
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will not cure the

I've got time for one more beer before the flight

We've still got time for duty free , they will hold the plane
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Will not cure the

I've got time for one more beer before the flight

We've still got time for duty free , they will hold the plane

Probably true! :)
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    You see a lot of smokers doing the last minute dash at airports that don't have any smoking areas airside.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bet the frontline staff are really happy as they will now have even more irate individuals to contend with now.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    Slightly naughty of them but by the same measure, I wholly agree with it! Might just be the fact that I use the same mindset for all flights - be in the airport 2hrs minimum before the scheduled departure - but hey, it works! As unfortunate as it can be to find an "unexpected delay" en route to the airport, the sad truth is that many of these HAG passengers simply don't have any concept of good timekeeping.

Thing to remember is that with EasyJet (and others of their kind) it's all about quick turnover, the longer they're on the ground the less efficient they're being. That's what it boils down to, passengers being late costs them money, so they're trying to cut that out. Personally I'd have it in big letters at point of booking & once again at online check-in but well, people would still ignore it. Won't be long until EasyJet (and again, others of their kind) keep a list of passengers who are serially late or troublesome and start refusing to carry them!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EasyJet is imposing a new rule which means anyone trying to pass through the security barriers with less than 30 minutes before take-off will be prevented from getting “airside” and sprinting to the gate – and could end up paying £80 to switch to another flight.

Surely such a 'rule' would be dependent on Gatwick security staff enforcing it - not the airline. I wouldn't be too happy if I was a security officer having to enforce a policy that does not concern me and in effect, doing a job that Easyjet staff should be doing at the gate.

How would that work if a passenger turns up at the airport or security with ample time before the gate closes, but due to high volumes of passengers or some other issue, the security clearance is delayed - through no fault of the passenger?

Security staff explaining to Easyjet passengers who miss the 'deadline' will also cause unnecessary delays and probably some arguments - delaying the security queue even more.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Slightly naughty of them but by the same measure, I wholly agree with it! Might just be the fact that I use the same mindset for all flights - be in the airport 2hrs minimum before the scheduled departure - but hey, it works! As unfortunate as it can be to find an "unexpected delay" en route to the airport, the sad truth is that many of these HAG passengers simply don't have any concept of good timekeeping.

Absolutely! I've never been late, or even close, for a flight in the past 40 years of air travel due to any tardiness on my part. I've only come close a couple of times. Once due to immigration line delays in Boston of 1 hour, for a connecting flight and once in Charlotte the day the fluid bans were imposed without any notice.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,264 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely such a 'rule' would be dependent on Gatwick security staff enforcing it - not the airline. I wouldn't be too happy if I was a security officer having to enforce a policy that does not concern me and in effect, doing a job that Easyjet staff should be doing at the gate.

How would that work if a passenger turns up at the airport or security with ample time before the gate closes, but due to high volumes of passengers or some other issue, the security clearance is delayed - through no fault of the passenger?

Security staff explaining to Easyjet passengers who miss the 'deadline' will also cause unnecessary delays and probably some arguments - delaying the security queue even more.

The last few times I've been through Gatwick all the security barriers have been automatic - so you scan your boarding card and the gate opens to let you through. There are a few staff around mainly to help those people who have issues with the scanning but I don't know if they can over ride the barriers at all, regardless of how irate a passenger is.

I have never seen queues there at all and have always walked straight up the barriers and been passed through. The bag and person scans are after that , and that is where any queue is likely to be- so a person could conceivably pass through the barrier within the allowed time and the hit queues at security and miss the flight.

I wonder though how many people actually leave it less than 30 minutes to go through security knowing there will be queues for scanning and sometimes a several minute walk to the gate. Surely it must be a very small percentage?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

They have had these style of automated barriers in the South Terminal at Gatwick for sometime. The North Terminal central search area is going though quite major redevelopment at the moment and I suspect the current 'manned' check points will be shortly changed over to the same automatic gates as you have in South very soon. Whilst there are a couple of wandering staff to aid passengers it is very much an automated process. You have to go through the barriers FIRST before getting to the security point in central search.

In the South terminal if your boarding card won't scan (often seen when someone prints a boarding card at home on a dodgy printer) the passenger is refered back to the airline handling agent. I think the same process will simply happen if you present yourself at these automatic barriers at less than -30 minutes until departure.

EasyJet inform passengers that they close gates at -30 mins now anyway so I can't really see much difference. They just have to now think of how to get those who hang around too long in the bars/duty free to make it to the gate on time.

Bit of a slow day in the Independant newsroom perhaps. Still, can't wait to see how the Daily Mail regurgitate the non-story in a few days.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 31 May 2016 at 9:49AM
    Options
    Moto2 wrote: »
    You see a lot of smokers doing the last minute dash at airports that don't have any smoking areas airside.

I did quite a bit of flying within Scandinavia this month - some intentional - some not due to going the long way round as radar failed at one of the major hubs and everyone got rerouted.

All the airports had airside smoking facilities - Gothenburg a tiny but clean booth and with proper extraction system ,Stockholm the same and Copenhagen has a dedicated outdoor smoking terrace - According to airport staff the major reason is to encourage people to go through security early (and I'm sure it's no accident the biggest one is very close to the huge duty free at Stockholm). They are all very different to those disgusting smoke boxes Gatwick used to have.
    From an economic point of view it seems to increase food, drink and duty free sales as well as avoid the last minute dash through security. Done properly it would work well at UK airports.

I was refused at check in at 60 minutes at Las Vegas on a busy Sunday morning (Rodeo weekend) as I wouldn't make it through security in their opinion and was rebooked onto a later internal flight . It caused a bit of concern as I then missed missed my subsequent flight New York to London (on a seperate ticket with another airline) however AA didn't bat an eyelid and simply put me on the next flight thankfully.////not all airlines are so obliging.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family