Britannia still collecting ppi for a mortgage paid off 3 years ago

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
7 replies 1.7K views
e_e0835e_e0835 Forumite
9 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Has anyone had similar?

Britannia BS debiting our account by around £50 per month for ppi on a mortgage that was completely paid off 3 years ago.

Other half had assumed it was his life insurance but, looking closer, it's not - it's definitely ppi.

Obviously really frustrating that we have only just noticed this. However - do we have a leg to stand on when complaining? Surely there's no point paying ppi for a mortgage that is demonstrably paid off in full?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer ...

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    However - do we have a leg to stand on when complaining?

Depends.....
    1 - did you tell them to cancel it when the mortgage ended?
    2 - does the MPPI only cover their mortgage or all mortgages?
    Surely there's no point paying ppi for a mortgage that is demonstrably paid off in full?

Correct. And that is why you should have cancelled it. If their policy covers all mortgages with any lender then they should not cancel it. if it only covers their own mortgages, then they should cancel it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • e_e0835e_e0835 Forumite
    9 Posts
    Thanks for your rapid reply dunstonh. I agree that my other half should have cancelled it (he bought the house and, evidently, took out the policy before I know him). If it covers all mortgages then, actually, I'm okay with that - we've always been paying a mortgage of some sort since 2013 anyhow.

In the case that it only covers the Britannia mortgage, in your opinion, can we argue that it should have been cancelled from their end? My other half definitely recalls speaking to them about it but admits he didn't follow up in writing so I doubt that they would believe us.

We will contact them and complain anyhow, as if it's only for the Britannia mortgage it certainly needs cancelling asap!!
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In the case that it only covers the Britannia mortgage, in your opinion, can we argue that it should have been cancelled from their end?
    You wont need to argue it. If that is the case, they should have stopped it and will auto-refund. It shouldnt even need to go to their complaints team. Their normal serviceline should deal with it.
    My other half definitely recalls speaking to them about it but admits he didn't follow up in writing so I doubt that they would believe us.

Cancelling the direct was one way. Telling the insurer was another.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • e_e0835e_e0835 Forumite
    9 Posts
    Thank you so very much for your help, especially on a bank holiday Monday!

I shall update with their response once other half has spoken to them tomorrow.
  • Hi - it has taken a long time but we have received back all of the money taken in error. Phew! Thanks again for your help and encouragement.
  • Hi, can I ask, was the MPPI covering their mortgage or all mortgages?
    thanks
  • Hi, it was covering the Britannia mortgage specifically, which was the grounds for the refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals