Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Cold callers to be forced to display phone numbers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
9 replies 1.3K views
crashedandcoolcrashedandcool Forumite
46 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Lots of news articles state that from 16th May that cold callers are to be forced to display phone numbers when calling. How come we are still getting withheld and unavailable phone calls then? Is is because I have that BT caller ID thing?

Replies

• Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because cold callers will take as much notice of this toothless piece of legislation as they take of any other toothless piece of legislation.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Ian011Ian011 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    An equivalent regulation would require robbers and muggers to leave a copy of their driving licence or passport at the scene of the crime along with a daytime telephone number the police could call to arrange for their arrest...

The new caller ID regulation is complete nonsense.
  • FitzmichaelFitzmichael Forumite
    161 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    If it's nonsense, why did we hear nothing about it from MSE when the legislation was going through?
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's nonsense, why did we hear nothing about it from MSE when the legislation was going through?

Did the legislators contact MSE ??
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the "about your accident" calls I get spoof non existent numbers , can't see them sticking to the rules

I do report each spoofed number to ofcom
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The spam call I had yesterday, came up as 000841xxxxxxxx - about as useful as a chocolate teapot!!
  • It only applies to UK Companies so when being called by offshore call centres they do not need to use a displayed and correct number.
  • edited 1 June 2016 at 10:01AM
    Ian011Ian011 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June 2016 at 10:01AM
    Seeing a number you do not recognise is no more useful in identifying who is calling than seeing no number at all. This approach is tackling nuisance calls from completely the wrong angle. This is also opening people up to being scammed.

Many people are intrigued enough by a missed call to call the number back. Where the number starts 070, 084, 087 or 09 the caller will be paying a premium rate to find out that they didn't really want to hear from or speak to whoever it is on the other end of the line.

By calling the number back, they have now turned a simple nuisance into one that is not only wasting even more of their time but is also costing them money. Expect a sharp rise in the incidence of 'wangiri' scams over the next few months.
  • DanStanDanStan Forumite
    37 Posts
    About time!
This discussion has been closed.