IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC - County Court Claim Defence and Process

Options

Comments

• IndigoMondayToyota
    Options
    Called up the court, and they said the case was discontinued.

I asked why, they said they didn't know and to contact the Claimant to find out why.

I also asked if they filed anything with the court, and it doesn't seem like it.

As you can imagine, I'm relieved however a little apprehensive to celebrate early!

My questions are:
    - From your experience, any reason why it would've been discontinued?
    - Should I contact the Claimant, UKPC, or even SCS Law to find out why?
    - Should I still file my defence bundle?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    - From your experience, any reason why it would've been discontinued?

Lots of these claims are looking for soft touches. A "win" doesn't cover their costs
    - Should I contact the Claimant, UKPC, or even SCS Law to find out
    why?

You may want to go back to the court and ask the date of the discontinuance. You may be able to ask for costs if they left it late.
    - Should I still file my defence bundle?

I'm sure the hamsters at the court would welcome new bedding or the cats, new cat litter.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 12:56PM
    Options
    From your experience, any reason why it would've been discontinued?

Perhaps they have just seen this

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/milton-keynes-woman-secures-landmark-victory-for-flat-tenants-in-parking-dispute-1-7459066
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • IndigoMondayToyota
    Options
    Perhaps...

Gave them another call, and they said it was filed on 22nd September.

If it was filed so early, surely I would've been told about it by now by the court?

Dare I contact the Claimant? Or will they just tell me to FRO? :)

Also, I was really looking forward to handing them new bedding and nibbles :rotfl:
  • IndigoMondayToyota
    Options
    Also worth mentioning, I check MCOL regularly, and it never said anything about it being discontinued. Just the fact that it's been assigned to the county court near me.

So what to do now? Have a beer and celebrate?

If so, do you want my case reference?
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure a case reference for a discontinued case would have any relevance or weight unfortunately, but thanks for the offer. :)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2016 at 12:47PM
    Options
    It seems the above poster has been PPRd with a permanent ban.

MSE in their usual way have failed to explain their stance in any way whatsoever. No doubt they sent the above poster a PM about this ... which he'll never be able to read!
  • IndigoMondayToyota
    Options
    https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part38#38.3

With reference to 38.3 (1) (b), and 38.3 (2), the Claimant must serve a copy of the discontuance to every other party of the proceedings.

As they've failed to do this (and no, they haven't sent me an email as I have never given this to them), would it have been SCS Law/UKPC or the court that should've issued this by post?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The Claimant (UKPC) should have done so (or their appointed representative - SCS Law in this case) ... the Court would not do so and have no obligation to do so. :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2016 at 7:10PM
    Options
    https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part38#38.3

With reference to 38.3 (1) (b), and 38.3 (2), the Claimant must serve a copy of the discontinuance to every other party of the proceedings.

As they've failed to do this (and no, they haven't sent me an email as I have never given this to them), would it have been SCS Law/UKPC or the court that should've issued this by post?
    Yes, the solicitors should have served notice of discontinuance. Personally I would want an email from the court to confirm, not a phone call, then send that email to SCS Law and ask why they didn't advise you that this matter was discontinued, as you have wasted time on this matter and are minded to report them to the SRA for their calculated misleading conduct throughout.

Oh, and please join our campaign (in writing, letters by snail mail) telling your MP and Mrs May what you have been through here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524754&page=6

You have escaped it at last but look what you have been through, how your life was overrun by these rats. Explain why this industry and their robo-claim solicitors and their new 'credit clamping' threat to consumers (months and years after an unfair PCN was issued and with no cause of action) is ten times worse than car clamping ever was. Think how many people are paying up.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure