Investment advice

Options
Hey,

Long time forum lurker but first time poster!

My employers were acquired a few months back and I was looking for some investment advice. I'm going to meet with a financial advisor soon as well. I'm based in Ireland (born in the UK) which I thought I'd mention as it might rule out some investment options.

After paying off an outstanding loan and credit card I'm left with just over €100k in my bank. The money from the acquisition was split into an up front lump sum and monthly payments until early 2019. The monthly payments added to my disposable income means I've at least €6-7k per month to do something with until March 2019. Based on my currently salary my disposable income will be around €3k per month after the acquisition payments stop. This doesn't include the potential income stream my employers have introduced to replace the options scheme after we were acquired.

My partner and I are early 30's, currently have no debts and I make the most of my companies pension matching scheme already (they will match up to 5% of my salary so that's how much I put into it. That works out at just over €12k per year currently). We don't own property but that's something we're interested in investigating. We're looking for longer term investments ideally.

Happy to answer any questions. Thanks in advance for any advice you have :)

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,523 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well clearly any money that you intend to use towards a property purchase in the next few years should not form part of your long term investment portfolio.

That aside, being non-UK resident, you will not have access to any of the financial accounts most people here are familiar with. I don't think you'll have access to UK open-ended funds, but you would be able to open a local brokerage account in order to invest in UK listed investments, such as ETFs and investment trusts.

You might consider upping the pension contributions as this is a bit of a no brainer at the sort of income levels you describe.

As you are planning to engage an advisor, you'll probably get better advice specific to your geography and situation than you'd receive here. In some respects, your main objective at this point might be doing a bit of research to ensure you get good financial advice and don't pay through the nose for it.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm based in Ireland (born in the UK) which I thought I'd mention as it might rule out some investment options.

It does because you will have different tax wrappers, different regulations and different products.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Dennisburns
    Options
    Do personal investments, that's it!
  • vsyrine
    vsyrine Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I am an employee for 6 years already and early last year i enter stock market.
    I put my money in different strong company I invest long term.
    You just need to know what company to buy and know the difference between trading and investing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure