Attendance Allowance Questions

Options
Hello

My dad receives the lower rate attendance allowance and he uses the money towards paying carers. I also spend about 4 or 5 hours a day with my dad (without the driving to/from) He has now become even worse, he can not stand with out support so he is going to need more care.

Is it possible to re-apply for attendance allowance, for the higher rate, as his needs/circumstances have changed?

I am hoping my dad will come to live with me (he's in hospital at moment). If he does, will he still get his attendance allowance - it would be good if he could use the money to have someone in one full day per week to give me a rest.

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If your dad is in hospital, you are supposed to let the AA unit know. There is a time limit on how long he can be in before losing the AA.

The higher rate AA is if someone needs substantial help both day and night. Needing more help in the daytime only will not entitle your dad to the higher rate. If he decides to apply for the higher rate, he should know that he might lose his entitlement completely (I'm not saying he will, just that it is possible).

Your dad can still receive AA if he is living with you, assuming he qualifies. He does not have to live alone to qualify. Depending on your own circumstances, you might be able to claim Carer's Allowance.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    another option is to phone social services and ask for an adult assessment.
    they may be able to help with providing care/respite
  • Terrysdelight
    Terrysdelight Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your dad is in hospital, you are supposed to let the AA unit know. There is a time limit on how long he can be in before losing the AA.

The higher rate AA is if someone needs substantial help both day and night. Needing more help in the daytime only will not entitle your dad to the higher rate. If he decides to apply for the higher rate, he should know that he might lose his entitlement completely (I'm not saying he will, just that it is possible).

Your dad can still receive AA if he is living with you, assuming he qualifies. He does not have to live alone to qualify. Depending on your own circumstances, you might be able to claim Carer's Allowance.

Dad is out of hospital now - he was only in for 5 days so I don't think he needed to notify this being such a short time.

Thank you for the info - appreciated.
  • Terrysdelight
    Terrysdelight Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    another option is to phone social services and ask for an adult assessment.
    they may be able to help with providing care/respite

Thank you Nannytone - I've contacted social services and they are going to evaluate him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure