cancel or no show?

We are off on holiday tomorrow and have all checked in online. However a member of our party is feeling very unwell and may not be able to travel.

I am loathe to cancel because he may have a recovery and also because of any extra cancellation charge.

I am minded to turn up at the airport and state he is unwell to travel but may take a later flight to join us. The apartments are booked and we have organised our own transfers although we have booked a package deal.

Does this sound sensible? I don't want there to be confusion at the airport because a no show has checked in online. Not sure what to do for the best ?

We are travelling with Thomson.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't want there to be confusion at the airport because a no show has checked in online.
    The 'no show' of passengers already checked in is not uncommon, so this particular aspect is not a problem.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Mrs_Optimist Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Thanks. So how do the airport know that someone hasn't actually shown up if they have checked in online? Apologies for my ignorance.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    When you go airside you have to scan / produce your ticket
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Ah I think I understand.

So if the boarding pass isn't scanned at the airport, the fact an online check in has taken place doesn't make any difference ? The airport will know he is a no show and there wont be any flight delay or tannoy messages calling out his name? Will we be asked where the missing person is when the rest of us hand in our luggage .

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I have never encountered this scenario before and want to have my story straight rather than turning up at the airport flustered

I am hoping he recovers sufficiently well to travel but don't want to pay cancellation charges if he doesnt ! I think losing the cost of the holiday will be enough.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I would recommend telling the airline or their handling agent at the gate (or check-in if you had been checking bags).

That way they can offload him/her from the system rather than be expecting the passenger to board. Whilst airlines won't typically wait around for someone with no checked in baggage after gate closure there might be a chance that gate staff are confused that you and the others in the group on the booking boarded and one passenger hasn't . This might result in confusion and a delay if they try to reconcile passenger boarded figures.

It won't do any harm to tell them and you won't be penalised or charged any extra.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So if the boarding pass isn't scanned at the airport, the fact an online check in has taken place doesn't make any difference ? The airport will know he is a no show and there wont be any flight delay or tannoy messages calling out his name? Will we be asked where the missing person is when the rest of us hand in our luggage .

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I have never encountered this scenario before and want to have my story straight rather than turning up at the airport flustered
    It concerns only the particular airline, not the airport. After checking in luggage, if any, each passenger's individual boarding pass is scanned to enter security and then at the boarding gate. The airline is not concerned about anyone who does not make it this far in time for boarding (unless of course they checked in some luggage, but that is not relevant here).

If they do in fact ask you about the other passenger when you check in your bags, or at the boarding gate, you can just say he didn't make it.

So don't worry about a flight no-show, sorry I can't advise about the holiday group booking aspect, I'm sure others can.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely the best course of action would be for the passenger in question to cancel and claim from their travel insurance?
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is it a proper package holiday? Like Thomson, Thomas Cook?

If so it might be worth speaking to them. As when the passenger doesn't turn up for the outbound flight then they may cancel their return, which may cause issues if you were hoping they'd fly out and join you and turn use their returned booked flight.

At the very least I'd seek a rep when you arrive and state that's happened and see if they can ensure the return ticket is held.

If they don't travel at all then they should be able to reclaim from their insurance. Although a trip to a doctor may be necessary.
  • Mrs_Optimist
    Many thanks for all replies. No point claiming on insurance as it is a pre existing condition causing the problem, which was specifically excluded when declared. Not too bothered about losing cost of holiday as these things can't be helped, but would be annoyed if we had to pay cancellation charge on top.

I think, if it transpires he definately cannot travel, we will inform travel company when we are at airport that he will be taking a later flight (which may be a possibility) and let the rep in resort know to ensure homeward bound flight remains open.

As long as it doesn't affect the rest of the group booking then that's fine (i am lead passenger so no worries there).

Many thanks again, this forum is just great - I am a little less stressed now !
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Many thanks for all replies. No point claiming on insurance as it is a pre existing condition causing the problem, which was specifically excluded when declared. Not too bothered about losing cost of holiday as these things can't be helped, but would be annoyed if we had to pay cancellation charge on top.

I think, if it transpires he definately cannot travel, we will inform travel company when we are at airport that he will be taking a later flight (which may be a possibility) and let the rep in resort know to ensure homeward bound flight remains open.

As long as it doesn't affect the rest of the group booking then that's fine (i am lead passenger so no worries there).

Many thanks again, this forum is just great - I am a little less stressed now !

You won't see anyone from the travel company at the airport, and it's not them that you need to speak to. It's the airline. Check in/bag drop staff are handling agent employees. If the airline in question automatically cancels the inbound (not all do) because the outbound was missed it will be too late by the time you tell the rep. The cancellation will already have been done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure