What's on your handlebars?

I've been cycling a few years and have gradually bought lights, a bell etc. to mount on the handlebars of my bike. But every time I get something new, it seems I have to carefully shuffle everything around to make space and get things in the "optimum" position.

So, I was wondering... What stuff and gubbins do you have mounted on your handlebars? Is space a problem? Have you got a handlebar extender thingy so you can mount even more devices?!

I have a mountain bike, which I use everywhere (on road, off-road, etc.), so here's what I have (from left to right):

• White reflector
  • Suspension lockout remote
  • Bell
  • Cateye EL135 mount (commuter flashing light)
  • P5 LED torch mount (dazzling, off-road light)
  • Philips SafeRide mount (non-dazzling, non-flashing road light)
  • 2nd P5 LED mount
  • 2nd Cateye EL135 mount
  • AirZound Horn

On the right, I have a Cateye mirror, my phone is mounted just in front of the handlebars, and I also have a bike computer which is mounted on top of one of the Cateye commuter lights (which makes changing batteries a pain, but frees up vital a bit of space).

Is this a bit OTT?! What's on your handlebars?

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    On my steel tourer I have a bar bag with quick release mount and that's it, the dynamo front light is attached to the forks and my gamin GOS mount is on the stem.

My fair weather full carbon road bike has Garmin mount, and a mount for a light in case a long ride extends into darkness.

I like to keep as much space for my hands as possible, and I prefer to use verbal warnings rather than a bell, although on one occasion saying excuse me when coming up behind a drunk women walking in the road got the response of "where's you f***ing bell"
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 29 May 2016 at 1:47AM
    This time of year mostly nothing bar occasionally a camera mount and the Garmin mount on the stem.

John
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Went minimalist on best bike a few years ago, just a reflector mounted so it is dead centre and the mount is snug against the stem. No computer or lights (only go out on good days). Haven't missed the comp and enjoy having all of the handle bars availabe, if I ever get a new computer I'll fix it to the stem or out in front of the stem. No bell either as on the road I have little use, I can always shout for an auditory warning. If I was using cycle paths or towpaths I could see the use.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    It depends on my bike i guess.

Ghost Cagua 5
    Sseat dropper post switch.

GT Avalanche 1.0
    Mount for cycle computer (which i never use)
    Bell
    Mount to use a small torch as a bicycle light

Boardman Hybrid Pro.
    Small stumpy bar ends
    Extra loud bell
    Mount to use a small torch as a bicycle light
    All your base are belong to us.
  • jaffa30
    jaffa30 Posts: 19,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    On my road bike, it's a light and that's it

Mtb, light and bell.

Cx just a light

No gramin etc as I use a app on mob
    R.I.P Sam, still in my heart
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I like to keep as much space for my hands as possible, and I prefer to use verbal warnings rather than a bell, although on one occasion saying excuse me when coming up behind a drunk women walking in the road got the response of "where's you f***ing bell"

Ha ha -- you can't win, can you? Sometimes I use the bell and pedestrians stop dead, turn around and scowl, as if I'm telling them to f*** off!

If it's quiet, I find that changing gear is enough to gently let someone know I'm behind them. But then, as you say, some people turn, scowl and say, "I didn't hear a bell". (Well, no, but you did hear me change gear, didn't you?)
    esuhl wrote: »
    Is this a bit OTT?! What's on your handlebars?

Judging from the responses, I'll take that as a "yes"! Well, I only have one bike and I need it to go everywhere so it has stuff mounted for literally any condition. I never use all the mounts at the same time.

It almost seems like an excuse to get a second bike... :D
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    esuhl wrote: »
    Ha ha -- you can't win, can you? Sometimes I use the bell and pedestrians stop dead, turn around and scowl, as if I'm telling them to f*** off!

If it's quiet, I find that changing gear is enough to gently let someone know I'm behind them. But then, as you say, some people turn, scowl and say, "I didn't hear a bell". (Well, no, but you did hear me change gear, didn't you?)

Just pull a big skid behind them and they'll hear you for sure :rotfl:

I think i have memories of doing that in my teens. Oops.

I get the same thing with the bells as well though. You ring the bell and sometimes they get a fright. Sometimes they stop, and turn around whilst walking into the path of you and sometimes they stop and scowl at you.

If you don't ring the bell, you get it just as bad but for different reasons.

I usually tell people who get ratty if they weren't taking up the whole shared path for them self they'd be no need to ring a bell.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Bar ends, bell, gear-choice thingies, light mount.

Other bikes have what's necessary at the time.
  • Computer
    Clinometer
    Heart rate monitor
    Map holder
    Front lamp
    Brake levers
    Gear levers
    Bar tape

(The front lamp and map holder share the same bracket)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Clinometer

Wow! I had to google that to find out what it was! :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income