cross stitch / knitting /sewing

coolcats
coolcats Posts: 295 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi
What are the best places for buying cross stitch fabric, etc. also for knitting needles, wool and sewing etc. Total beginer so need to build up the kit. Ideally online. For a teenager if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Comments

• Sewsosew
    Sewsosew Posts: 94 Forumite
    I use two companies online which are both good in different ways. Sewandso (https://www.sewandso.co.uk) stock cross stitch, tapestry, knitting and lots more. Cross Stitch Heaven (https://www.cross-stitch-heaven.co.uk) stock fabric, threads, needles and accessories but no kits or charts apart from a few clearance items.

CSH have the cheapest DMC threads I've found and offer some smaller fabric pieces in variety packs. Donna at CSH is very helpful and could probably advise on what is needed to start cross stitch.

Both have fairly swift service, I've ordered from Sewandso sometimes and had the items delivered the next day.
    When dancing with dragons, don't let your partner lead.
  • BlueBell47
    BlueBell47 Posts: 8 Forumite
    I purchase my cross stitch kits from Amazon and they sell quite a lot. I also use sew and sew which was mentioned by the previous person.
    I use them because the postage is not to expensive.:j
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,521 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's always worth looking at car boot sales for craft items - you just never know what you will find. Last week I saw someone buying knitting needles @ 10 pence per pair! Needless to say at that price they bought them all!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • coolcats
    coolcats Posts: 295 Forumite
    Thanks for the suggestions. Both the sites mention look good. She is spending pocket money so being able to buy a little at a time will help there. Not sure she will do kits, but has been looking in books to get ideas.
    Also looking at fabric etc, although I did suggest charity shops for that.
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ebay can be a good sauce for stuff, had a few bargains over the years. You have to add postage which can be high to the costs but i always look for low postage or free postage.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Have you thought of asking on your local freegle/freecycle site for items? It might be worth a punt...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    Hi *mazon have different sellers on it and I have bought lovely fabric from some of them, and also different types of crafting stuff. Sometimes you can come across some thing in a charity shop which is made from a lovely fabric and you could maybe buy it and then use the fabric it is made from, for something else. Lovely to hear someone is dipping their toe in the water for the first time:) I am only learning but am enjoying making things.
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I got lots of cross stitch magazines from Freegle (our local virtually useless now, due to people being put off by greed), took the type of charts I needed (pet designs) then recycled them to someone who wanted other content.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure