Bought a phone from Gumtree, turned out to be fake

Options
Back in March I bought a phone locally via Gumtree. Got home only to find it was fake. Contacted seller but he was just abusive and denied that it was fake (have kept all communication via text).

He deleted the advert within the hour so I could not trace him. I have his phone number and address but not his name.

After contacting the CAB and following their instructions it ended up with them saying to me that if I didnt have the persons name then I could not make a claim via the SCC.

However I told the CAB from the very beginning that I did not have the persons name.

So I left it for a while as I gave up. However a few people have said I can still do something about it. I am dubious because the police said contact GT. Only for GT to say that due to DPA they can only provide those details to the police.

Is this really worth the hassle, only for that person to possibly get caught and pay back £2 a week? He looked, well... scruffy/rough and so probably unemployed. Besides the cost of going to the SCC could be more than what I paid for the phone (£200). So in total I potentially pay out over £400 only to get back possibly as little as £200.

The address on 192.com showed over ten different names living at the property in less than five years. It's possible he's moved on since then.

Communication methods:
whatsapp | googlechat | skype | msn | live profile | viber
Available via:
PC or Android

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Abu_Yoosha wrote: »
    Back in March I bought a phone locally via Gumtree. Got home only to find it was fake. Contacted seller but he was just abusive and denied that it was fake (have kept all communication via text).

He deleted the advert within the hour so I could not trace him. I have his phone number and address but not his name.

After contacting the CAB and following their instructions it ended up with them saying to me that if I didnt have the persons name then I could not make a claim via the SCC.

However I told the CAB from the very beginning that I did not have the persons name.

So I left it for a while as I gave up. However a few people have said I can still do something about it. I am dubious because the police said contact GT. Only for GT to say that due to DPA they can only provide those details to the police.

Is this really worth the hassle, only for that person to possibly get caught and pay back £2 a week? He looked, well... scruffy/rough and so probably unemployed. Besides the cost of going to the SCC could be more than what I paid for the phone (£200). So in total I potentially pay out over £400 only to get back possibly as little as £200.

The address on 192.com showed over ten different names living at the property in less than five years. It's possible he's moved on since then.

How did you ascertain it was 'fake'.

Why is his mode of dress or employment status relevant?

Why are you 'paying out £400 to get £200 back'?
  • Shawn_Dark
    Shawn_Dark Posts: 295 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2016 at 7:37PM
    Options

Q1) How did you ascertain it was 'fake'.

Q2) Why is his mode of dress or employment status relevant?

Q3) Why are you 'paying out £400 to get £200 back'?

A1) Took it home and the back fell off showing all the fake parts. Took it two shops (one CFW, one independent) who both confirmed it was fake.

A2) Strike that comment.
    I was trying to say that he looked like a low-life. The type that does not work and so the SCC could only force him to pay back a minuscule amount per month (e.g. £4 a month).

A3) I paid £200 for the phone. CAB said a SCC application could cost around £200 = Worst case scenario: me paying £400 to get back my £200 for the phone. Of course best case is: he pays back everything, including my SCC costs.

Communication methods:
    Available via:
    PC or Android
  • makeyourdaddyproud
    Options
    Why didn't you test it then and there?

Don't hold you breath suing.
  • Shawn_Dark
    Options
    Why didn't you test it then and there?

Don't hold you breath suing.

I did, it seemed fine... I'm not.

Communication methods:
    Available via:
    PC or Android
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    Gumtree is full of scammers and idiots, strangely most of the people who use it seem to be from abroad, or at least all the loons who ring me.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd never buy anything on gumtree or similar sites. There is little to no protection when things like this happen. Of course if everything goes right there are no fees but on balance I think the risk is too high for anything where the items are of significant value.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    sportsarb wrote: »
    I'd never buy anything on gumtree or similar sites. There is little to no protection when things like this happen. Of course if everything goes right there are no fees but on balance I think the risk is too high for anything where the items are of significant value.

Gumtree is good for buying some things, cars, vans and everyday junk from everyday people, but phones and get rich quick schemes should be avoided.

The protection thing is just some marketing nonsense that ebay uses to brainwash the thick into only buying things from ebay and only ever paying for anything via paypal.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • Shawn_Dark
    Options
    Gumtree is good for buying some things, cars, vans and everyday junk from everyday people, but phones and get rich quick schemes should be avoided.

The protection thing is just some marketing nonsense that ebay uses to brainwash the thick into only buying things from ebay and only ever paying for anything via paypal.

Couldn't agree more!

Ebay have a Microsoft type monopoly that needs to stopped.

Communication methods:
    Available via:
    PC or Android
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,259 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Abu_Yoosha wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more!

Ebay have a Microsoft type monopoly that needs to stopped.

That is an argument that is often found on various ebay related boards- unfortunately it is nonsense as a monopoly suggests no other competitor is allowed or can entre the market. Someone does not have a monopoly just because they are the best known.

In fact for face to face sales I would suggest that the various facebook selling pages are bigger now that Gumtree. It was your choice to use Gumtree despite there being a lot of other places out there to buy a second hand phone. If you truly believe that an organisation of any sort has too much market share then boycott them and use some other smaller sites to encourage their growth instead.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Well, for all I use it for, I'm happy with the 'protection' I got as both a seller and a buyer. Talking about twice. I simply wouldn't have got that with gumtree or Craigslist etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure