Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Remain
    That'll be a British car for you then?

Heres my top five reasons why that's not a concern.

Firstly, this could well be a short term blip in the value of sterling, and is based purely on the fact that the market doesn't like uncertainty to bet on. They don't have some crystal ball or some remarkable insight into how the future will pan out.

Secondly, the new car market has to remain competitive and incentivised so bumping up prices isn't particularly an option for any manufacturer, so they will try to absorb and currency fluctuations (as they are well used to doing)

Thirdly, quite a lot of cars are built in the UK, so less likely to be impacted by currency fluctuations.

Fourthly, generally speaking, buying a brand new car isnts a great idea for most people, so even IF - and its a very big IF - the prices of new cars goes beyond peoples reach (and that will NOT happen), then theres any amount of pre-reg, nearly new and used cars.

Fifthly, the new car market is pretty much dominated by lease and PCP deals, so the relative price isn't hugely important to people who are looking to spend a fixed amount per month.

Whilst there may be lots of hand wringing on forums etc about what might happen, businesses such as Mercedes, BMW, Nissan, Toyota, etc will be looking at how best they can take a competitive advantage from any short term turbulence.

On a personal note, we've a new car on order at a confirmed fixed price, which will see us through a minimum of three years. The other two cars in the household are 12 years old, and 15 years old respectively, so neither likely to be impacted by any of this.

When the main car is due a change, we'll find the best deal on the best car that suits our requirements and i'm not expecting any big variance.
  • motorguy
    edited 18 October 2016 at 1:40PM
    Options
    Remain
    x12yhp wrote: »

Our company manufactures 99 percent of our products in the UK. We buy 75 percent or more from UK suppliers. Guess what? Every last supplier has raised their prices. We have raised our prices.

And guess what? I bet a lot of those suppliers are chancing their arm, based on brexit.

And of course, a weaker pound helps UK businesses export goods more competitively, something the bank of England is probably quite pleased about as a side effect.

x12yhp wrote: »

The media reporting is just nonsense from people who think that a supply chain starts with a buyer and ends with the seller. The truth is that many if not most goods are based on materials which start life priced in euro or dollars and you won't see that with such simplistic analysis.

And likewise, I am sure your business is looking for opportunities out of this, rather than sitting around hand wringing and focusing on the negatives with a simplistic binary view?
  • motorguy
    edited 18 October 2016 at 1:41PM
    Options
    Remain
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    Tesco and the other big supermarkets might have won, but it was reported last week on the local news UTV. Unilever are now hitting the smaller chains Centra,Mace,Spar and demanding the 10% price increase. These chains do not have the muscle of the big boys so Unilever products are disappearing from the shelves as people will not pay.

People will pay or buy someone elses alternative product. I would imagine 99% of people couldn't tell you the price of a jar of marmite if you held a gun to their head anyway.

These products are not disappearing from shelves because people will not pay, that's frankly unfounded and scaremongering.

Prices go up a bit on Unilever products, people buy some other brand instead.

Simples.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Remain
    guiriman wrote: »
    Great opportunity for Unilever's competitors then

Exactly.

Successful businesses will be the ones that look for opportunities, not sit around hand wringing.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Remain
    RikM wrote: »
    There's a competitor for Marmite...? :shocked:

Hopefully not...
  • motorguy
    edited 18 October 2016 at 1:42PM
    Options
    Remain
    On the plus side, all those people who were embracing the market crash thread on here with their doom and gloom predictions now have something new to push their negativity on to, and yet another reason not to "do something".

;)
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not a brexitist, but I'm running at about 80 % of my income in euros ( at the same prices as pre vote) so I've had a 22% pay rise. So that makes me a "boom and gloom" type.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do"
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    Leave
    motorguy wrote: »
    Heres my top five reasons why that's not a concern.

Firstly, this could well be a short term blip in the value of sterling, and is based purely on the fact that the market doesn't like uncertainty to bet on. They don't have some crystal ball or some remarkable insight into how the future will pan out.

Secondly, the new car market has to remain competitive and incentivised so bumping up prices isn't particularly an option for any manufacturer, so they will try to absorb and currency fluctuations (as they are well used to doing)

Thirdly, quite a lot of cars are built in the UK, so less likely to be impacted by currency fluctuations.

Fourthly, generally speaking, buying a brand new car isnts a great idea for most people, so even IF - and its a very big IF - the prices of new cars goes beyond peoples reach (and that will NOT happen), then theres any amount of pre-reg, nearly new and used cars.

Fifthly, the new car market is pretty much dominated by lease and PCP deals, so the relative price isn't hugely important to people who are looking to spend a fixed amount per month.

Whilst there may be lots of hand wringing on forums etc about what might happen, businesses such as Mercedes, BMW, Nissan, Toyota, etc will be looking at how best they can take a competitive advantage from any short term turbulence.

On a personal note, we've a new car on order at a confirmed fixed price, which will see us through a minimum of three years. The other two cars in the household are 12 years old, and 15 years old respectively, so neither likely to be impacted by any of this.

When the main car is due a change, we'll find the best deal on the best car that suits our requirements and i'm not expecting any big variance.

I was listening to Jim Rogers (Quantum Fund/Soros) on the radio the other day. He reckons parity with the dollar when Scotland takes the oil but eventual parity anyhow. Sterling has been in a downward trend since 1940 and he doesn't expect it to stop. Balance of payments problems aren't going away.

He did say it's a good opportunity to rebalance towards export, but thinks it's too late. Interesting interview, very pro-remain as I'd expect from the BBC, but still interesting. Essentially we've been borrowing our prosperity for quite a while. He said he's go no positions in the UK at the moment...
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Options
    Scotland takes the oil? How deluded is he?

The Irish republic is sweating blood because 30 % of its trade is with the U.K. Scotland's trade with England is a mere 60%, and 25% is with North America. And these eejits want to go on the euro and put a border across gb? Oh and the oil industry is pretty much shut down. Nicola is trump in high heels.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    Options
    Remain
    Nicola is trump in high heels.

You had to put that picture into my head...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure