Legally changing childs' surname

Hi all,

I'm after some advice on changing my daughters' surname please. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My wife and I had a daughter 5 years ago (before we were married) and registered her birth with a double-barrelled surname (my surname and my wife's maiden name). We're now married and my wife has now legally taken my name. We have our second child on the way and baby will also take my name leaving my daughter as the odd one out!

I don't want her to grow up having a different name to the rest of us (possibly making her feel separated from the rest of the family) and I've already had questions asking if we are both the natural parents (which we are!) because of the difference in name.

I believe that I can change her name by deed poll but wondered if anyone had any experience of doing this? Her passport is due for renewal which I'd like to do in the new name if possible. Will a change of surname cause her any other problems that I need to consider?


  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Not really, just keep the deed poll certificate with the birth certificate
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When you marry it is, in theory, a legal requirement to re-register any existing children, so a trip to the registrar should solve your problem, you'll probably be able to do it at the same time you register the new baby. Her birth cert will be altered to show the new name.

    If you click on the pdf of the form there's a space to put what you want to change the surname to.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • samtel
    samtel Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks very much to you both.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I see peachy price beat me to it - reregistering will be simpler than a change of name deed, and a birth certificate is easier to replace if you lose the original!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes simply reregister the birth.

    I had three boys all born before my marriage to their dad. All were given my maiden name, as their older sister had this.
    When we married we reregistered the births and now their birth certs show the married surname. And should they apply for copies of the birth certificates at a later date they will always be given the second married name version. A note? Is placed by the first entry redirecting to later entry.

    Much easier this way than deed polling as I've had to do with my daughter, every time she applies for something that requires her birth certificate she has to include the deed poll. We have two certified copies but I dread of losing one.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    My oldest started with my maiden name and was re-registered when we married.. we were told his birth had to be re-registered before the next child arrived otherwise #2 child would take priority for inheritance.

    Make an appointment at the registry office and just redo it.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards