Student Account after dropping out

Hey Guys,

So I have a confession to make, I dropped out of university around a year and a half ago but never got around to changing my hsbc student account back to a normal account. I confess that I knew it was probably wrong but to my shame I tried not to think about it and kept telling myself that they would eventually shut it down themselves. They never did.
Im not over using my overdraft and have not been in it for a good while. Though it has been handy to have there and I have been known to dip into up to around £100 if my money isn't stretching one month. I am above board and not in it now and have no outstanding overdraft debt to the bank. I have just received a letter saying that they will soon convert my account to a graduate account and increase my overdraft. But I feel like I cant keep lying to myself any longer and should convert to a normal account but Im worried that coming forward might land me in more trouble than continuing on?
(In my defence I have gone back to education, live on my own while doing an apprenticeship and money is very tight, which is why in my head I semi justified it) but im sure as most of you will agree I should come clean.

Have you guys got any advice for me? Anyone know of any similar cases or hoe much trouble im about to get into?

Cheers

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 May 2016 at 9:37PM
    My DD dropped out 1st time round after year 1 but kept her nat west student account overdraft and all, she is now back at uni and opened a normal account with lloyds.
    just remember they assumed you were still a student, you didn't tell them and you won't be in any trouble
  • htnelle
    htnelle Posts: 3 Newbie
    I asked my bank to change mine from a student account to a normal one when I dropped out, and over a year later I found out it was still a student account! They said it was no problem though and I didn't even have to prove it was their fault as it actually made no real difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure