edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
3 replies 792 views
muddylmuddyl Forumite
574 posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi all,
I'm currently having some issues with my phone line. I want to check it's an outside fault before i decide to call them out as i don't want an unnecessary bill.
Anyway, they always refer you to the master socket, something which we dont have.
Would BT charge to fit or provide one if there's never been one in previous?

Replies

• edited 23 May 2016 at 8:35PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 May 2016 at 8:35PM
    You should still have a master socket, even if it isn't a NTE5 type master with the test socket, the master socket should have a capacitor on the circuit board, extension sockets don't.
    Generally they wouldn't change to a NTE5 if there isn't a problem,so you cannot just request a socket change unless you are prepared to pay.
    They may change to a NTE 5 if they are attending anyway (on an external problem, but call to the house to prove where the problem is for example), or an internal problem, bringing your installation up to current standards, but would charge you for this service if the fault is proved as not on what OR are responsible for.
    There is still a procedure for (as far is practical) proving the fault as either internal (your problem) or external (Openreach's problem), basically you unplug everything from every socket and use a known working phone in the LJU master (with the capacitor) this would preferably be a corded phone, but it's harder to know for certain where the fault it without a test socket, but you should still get a good idea
    what's the nature of the problem ?
  • muddylmuddyl Forumite
    574 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

The problem is no dial tone.

At first i thought it was our cordless phones as they've played up a little recently so i bought new ones. It was still the same. Tested with a new corded phone and the same.
    All extensions removed. If router is plugged in i still receive internet, just no dial tone. No calls in or out.
  • iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Broadband will work, albeit slowly with 1 leg of the cable pair 'dis', but you would have no dialtone, and no incoming calls...broadband working indicates this disconnection would be close to your home
    As you have tried a known working phone, you probably now have to report the line faulty...if you call your line rental service provider they will probably test the line before raising a fault with openreach
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support