PayPal charges

Options
I am struggling to understand my paypal fee, I recently sold an item on EBay for £30 and £7.50 postage they charged a £1.65 fee, but my calculations 3.4% plus 0.20p an item don't come to £1.65 what am I missing.

Comments

• djp64
    djp64 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the buyer's original country of registration not the UK?

If they originally registered / opened an account in another currency / different country then, even if they now have a UK delivery address, Paypal will charge you the additional fees for a foreign currency transaction as in the background they may still be transacting in a foreign currency / with an overseas card.

When this happens to me, the additional fees on a £7.00 transaction are @ 7p so on a £37.50 transaction they could well equate to the extra 17.5p you've paid.

Debbie
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pothole50 wrote: »
    I am struggling to understand my paypal fee, I recently sold an item on EBay for £30 and £7.50 postage they charged a £1.65 fee, but my calculations 3.4% plus 0.20p an item don't come to £1.65 what am I missing.

As above, there are fees for currency conversion.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/cross-border-and-conversion-fees#currencyconversion

Paypal charge the fee on the amount received, the don't break it down into item and postage cost.
  • pothole50
    pothole50 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I think you are right as I have found out that the buyer lives in Sweden, and I am posting to Ebays distribution centre, although my postage is £7.50, they are charging the buyer £17.54 to forward it to Sweden
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure