Change in contract during Pregnancy

Options
I am employed with a company in London for past 1.5 years with an initial contract of working 3 days from home and 2 day in office. Meanwhile my OH got an opportunity and we moved to South-West of England. At this point my company changed my contract to 4 days WFH and 1 day in office. It's a 6 hrs commute in total on the day I go to office. Some structural changes happened in the company in past 2 months but nothing was reflected in my role or responsibilities. I got pregnant and shared the news with the manager as I was getting morning and evening sickness and had to call sick a few times. Had a meeting with manager yesterday where he is asking me to come to office for all 5 days knowing the significant amount of commute that I have to do. I have a few more meetings in the coming week with the manager and HR for this setting. And I have a feeling if I say no to 5 days in office they are going to make me redundant. Can you suggest what rights do I hold at this point? And where can I seek help?

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    <2 years service you have zero rights to claim unfair dismissal unless you can demonstrate it is due to an "'ism" ie sex/race/age etc. Thus you can effectively be made redundant at will.
    You might be able to show sexism (pregnancy related) if they have male workers doing a similar job who are still allowed to work from home for most of the week
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    MSAS wrote: »
    I am employed with a company in London for past 1.5 years with an initial contract of working 3 days from home and 2 day in office. Meanwhile my OH got an opportunity and we moved to South-West of England. At this point my company changed my contract to 4 days WFH and 1 day in office. It's a 6 hrs commute in total on the day I go to office. Some structural changes happened in the company in past 2 months but nothing was reflected in my role or responsibilities. I got pregnant and shared the news with the manager as I was getting morning and evening sickness and had to call sick a few times. Had a meeting with manager yesterday where he is asking me to come to office for all 5 days knowing the significant amount of commute that I have to do. I have a few more meetings in the coming week with the manager and HR for this setting. And I have a feeling if I say no to 5 days in office they are going to make me redundant. Can you suggest what rights do I hold at this point? And where can I seek help?

There aren't a great deal of "extra rights" just because you are pregnant. You have the right not to be dismissed because of your pregnancy, but otherwise you have the same rights as someone who isn't pregnant, and at the moment that would be few because you do not have the service required to claim unfair dismissal.

You have had a meeting with the manager about this, and there are others scheduled with the manager and HR. So I presume that they have explained, or you have asked, what the reason for the change is. What was the reason given?
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ignore the references to "Redundant" That is when the role no longer exists.
    It is true that with less than 2 yrs in the job you can be dismissed without reason.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport