IVA and ordering phoneline/broadband ?

Options
999frogs
999frogs Posts: 15 Forumite
Hi all,
5.5 yrs into my IVA, I,ve moved house and need broadband for work. Tried ordering both Virgin and BT, but they both insist on credit checks. Offered to pay upfront, but they're having non of it. I need broadband else I can't work, has anyone any ideas how I can progress this please ? Getting desparate !
Many thanks

Comments

• mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had broadband from BT about a year after my 6 month IVA with no issues. Also had plusnet a couple of times since

Depending on how tight budget is maybe worth looking at smaller suppliers, if budget can stretch I'm sure likes of Andrews and Arnold will take you(very good but £37 a month for line rental and basic adsl)

edit: actually with a&a you've got setup fees too. I'd give plusnet a try first
  • memberme
    memberme Posts: 213 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I had Talktalk whilst doing an IVA for years. they may have checked up on my file but i never mentioned it and neither did they. Service companies are usually fine as you're paying monthly so if you stop paying they cut you off.It's not clear if you did but I would not mention your IVA and just apply for the service as normal
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You didn't include a bt debt in your IVA by any chance ?
  • GonnaBeatThis
    Options
    Do you have a mobile phone contract? If so try the mobile company for broadband (if they do it).

I got fibre with EE, as an existing customer they only check your payment history with them rather than a full credit check I assume.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure