artificial grass installation

Options
HI all - has anyone got any experience as to how much i can expect to pay for artifical grass?

I've had quotes of c. £70m2 from the big players like lazylawn and easigrass and one for £50m2 from an independent gardener for supply and install.

What questions should I be asking the installers, what makes a good grass? There appear to be some good value grass on line so should i consider buying the grass myself and then paying for installation - this feels cheaper but i don't want to sacrifice the grass quality. any comments or suggestions or recommendations will be very helpful. I'm in the south east region.

If anyone has negotiated with lazylawn or easigrass i'd be interested to know if they have reduced their price at all - all suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• NeverEnough
    NeverEnough Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    We found the prices of the major companies like Lazylawn et al completely unaffordable - they wanted really silly prices, for instance a 12 x4 area which had already been cleared and levelled, they quoted approx £3000 to complete saying it would take a "team" at least 2 days to do. Another crowd wanted £2500 for the same small area. I thought it was really overpriced.

Found very good quality grass from an ebay seller who installs all weather sports pitches and sometimes has good quality pieces available -paid £200 for it, a local landscaper and assistant charged £120 installation and extras such as a ton of sharp sand and some metal pegs and fixing tape to join pieces and some pea gravel and some edging, was another £100. Total costs under £500. Very happy with the result, looks really nice and we enjoy using it.

Like with everything, costs will vary massively. Depends on your budget and what you are able to do or local landscaper / handyman availability and capabilities. Its not rocket science to lay it - rather like laying an outdoor carpet.

We also had some weed membrane from an earlier project which we were able to use under the grass so saved a bit there too.

Can be done a LOT cheaper than the big national companies quote, with just as good a result.
  • akrot1
    akrot1 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thank you for your response. Unfortunately I'm not DIY savvy and am certainly not skilled to do any of it myself which is a shame so will have to get a 3rd party in to do the whole lot.

you mention you found good quality grass on ebay - how can you tell from ebay it was good quality - what attributes make it good quality?

Advantage of Easigrass and lAzy lawn is they provide a guarantee and you get the peace of mind it's all above board, no cutting corners etc...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure