We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Cant Seem to Register Gas for New build Property
smpaarrkky
Posts: 1 Newbie
in Energy
Hi All,
Sorry if this has been posted before.
I bought a new build house in July last year. Was told by the builders (St Modwen) that a Gas and Elec account had been set up with SCOTTISH POWER for the house, and I needed to ring and change the name over.
Elec was sorted easily, and I have been paying monthly for the past 10 months. However they stated that they were not the gas supplier, and that it was Indigo Pipelines.
So I rang Indigo Pipelines, who turn out to be the people who install the gas meter, and they state that Scottish power had been the supplier since the 6th June 2015 when the meter was made live.
So back i go to Scottish Power, give all my details again, and they said they would sort it. that was August 2015. I have since called every month to try and find out why I have not been billed or why they wont even acknowledge they are the supplier.
My last contact with them was January 2016, when I left it with them to sort and contact me when it was done. I am fed up with calling them and chasing them. the guy on the phone gave me his name and ID number and said dont worry, he will sort it.
5 months later and still nothing. 10 months after moving in.
Where do I stand on the gas ive used already, and is there anything more I should be doing?
Sorry if this has been posted before.
I bought a new build house in July last year. Was told by the builders (St Modwen) that a Gas and Elec account had been set up with SCOTTISH POWER for the house, and I needed to ring and change the name over.
Elec was sorted easily, and I have been paying monthly for the past 10 months. However they stated that they were not the gas supplier, and that it was Indigo Pipelines.
So I rang Indigo Pipelines, who turn out to be the people who install the gas meter, and they state that Scottish power had been the supplier since the 6th June 2015 when the meter was made live.
So back i go to Scottish Power, give all my details again, and they said they would sort it. that was August 2015. I have since called every month to try and find out why I have not been billed or why they wont even acknowledge they are the supplier.
My last contact with them was January 2016, when I left it with them to sort and contact me when it was done. I am fed up with calling them and chasing them. the guy on the phone gave me his name and ID number and said dont worry, he will sort it.
5 months later and still nothing. 10 months after moving in.
Where do I stand on the gas ive used already, and is there anything more I should be doing?
0
Comments
-
Just keep regularly bugging them. They can only bill for energy used in the past year once they eventually concede they are your supplier provided you have made efforts to register. You could phone the Meter Point Administration Service 0870 608 1524 to confirm who your supplier is. Indigo Pipelines is an Independent Gas Transporter and provides all the pipes and metering etc but you buy the gas through one of the regular suppliers in the same way as National Grid.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
Do as molerat advises and phone the MPAS who maintain the National Data Base for gas meters, which holds info.on where each meter is located and who the supplier is.
It's important that you keep safe the log of who you phoned and when.
When a supplier fails to send a bill for a year or more, the 'Back-billing Agreement' comes into play which means the supplier cannot bill for any gas supplied earlier than in the last 12 months, and that 12 months runs back from the date they did manage to produce a bill
However, to make a claim the customer must be able to show that they made
efforts to get a bill from the supplier0 -
smpaarrkky wrote: »Hi All,
Sorry if this has been posted before.
I bought a new build house in July last year. Was told by the builders (St Modwen) that a Gas and Elec account had been set up with SCOTTISH POWER for the house, and I needed to ring and change the name over.
Elec was sorted easily, and I have been paying monthly for the past 10 months. However they stated that they were not the gas supplier, and that it was Indigo Pipelines.
So I rang Indigo Pipelines, who turn out to be the people who install the gas meter, and they state that Scottish power had been the supplier since the 6th June 2015 when the meter was made live.
So back i go to Scottish Power, give all my details again, and they said they would sort it. that was August 2015. I have since called every month to try and find out why I have not been billed or why they wont even acknowledge they are the supplier.
My last contact with them was January 2016, when I left it with them to sort and contact me when it was done. I am fed up with calling them and chasing them. the guy on the phone gave me his name and ID number and said dont worry, he will sort it.
5 months later and still nothing. 10 months after moving in.
Where do I stand on the gas ive used already, and is there anything more I should be doing?
Indigo Pipelines is not a supplier, but rather an Independent Gas Transporter (IGT)
As you have already contacted them and they have told you SP is your supplier (as the builder said) then get back onto SP - raise a complaint if necessary.
Where do you stand for the gas you've used?
You'll have to pay for it!
Probably at the supplier's most expensive (standrad variable) tariff, unless you cna prove you agreed to an alternative 10 months ago (and it hasn't expired yet)0 -
Go back to the builders and ask for the paperwork!
I was shown the paperwork when I moved in and had to sign an agreed meter reading, as the builder was paying the amount before I moved in.Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #060
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
