Remortgage with a Default

Options
Hi All,

I have had a credit card account which was in default since 2014, however in January I paid this off in full. I am now looking to remortgage one of my properties into a buy-to-let deal (currently it is residential).

My credit rating is fine in every area aside from this blip in 2014. I called my current lender who today said I would not meet their criteria should I wish to remortgage because they do not accept applications with history of default unless been cleared for over 3 years.

This has led me to this forum to ask for advice from the community and if anyone has experience in a similar situation? Where can I go to get a mortgage? I have done the usual googling and research but its all very grey and a market full of shady bankers.

Does a default payment really stop me from getting credit for so long?

Please help :(

Japs

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    See a broker - they will place your application appropriately, should it be possible.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Japseye wrote: »
    I have done the usual googling and research but its all very grey and a market full of shady bankers.

Not grey at all. Speak to a mortgage broker. They'll be able to place your business. Whether the rates are attractive is another matter. Waiting until the 3 years is up is an alternative option. A blip is a factual event on which bankers base decisions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure