Home Address

Options
I left the family home in 2011 however I paid rent in cash and was happy for all of my mail to go there still. So whenever I did credit searches it went to the family home and I classed myself as still living with parents.

Now I have moved out and pay a more formal rent with council tax and utility bills associated with my name.

Rather than pay to change my drivers license and go through all of my accounts changing address, do you think there is any risk in continuing to put forward living with parents?

I'm not going to be at this address more than 2 or 3 years where as the other one I confidently put the maximum most sites allow.

Thanks

Comments

• yoshiyella
    yoshiyella Posts: 595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With fraud there is always a risk!
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    yoshiyella wrote: »

It's not fraud. Lots of people do this.
  • dLockers
    dLockers Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yoshiyella wrote: »

I imagine i'd trigger a lot more 'fraud' flags if I had put the address I was in for only x months, then another property for x months...then this property - especially considering all of my bills still went to my preferred secure location (home) rather than a shared hallway in rented accommodation.

Thanks for your informative post though.
    GingerBob wrote: »

Was my assumption too. Especially in London. The question is now whether I've tipped the balance of what is reasonable by having council tax and utilities in my name under this new property.
  • GingerBob_3
    Options
    dLockers wrote: »
    I imagine i'd trigger a lot more 'fraud' flags if I had put the address I was in for only x months, then another property for x months...then this property - especially considering all of my bills still went to my preferred secure location (home) rather than a shared hallway in rented accommodation.

Was my assumption too. Especially in London. The question is now whether I've tipped the balance of what is reasonable by having council tax and utilities in my name under this new property.

Utilities are the ones to watch, because most of them report accounts to the CRAs. Try not to provide them with your full name and DoB, and of course don't provide previous addresses. Easy for water, you just don't give it. More difficult for utilities, so think about EDF, who don't report anyway. Mobile phone - keep using parents' address. Council tax, not an issue. They don't data rape you in the manner of utilities and so on. They're just interested in getting the money. For banks and credit cards, keep using your parents' address until you're well and truly settled down and established in your own abode. Driving licence; not sure, but probably not an issue. If it ever became an issue you could argue it's a safer address for any correspondence because your actual address is not permanent.
  • dLockers
    dLockers Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cool, makes sense. Thank you.

I imagine i'll get the odd 'Refer' decision at point of purchase but that'll be about the extent of it. Unfortunately water and internet are already setup with full details.
  • GingerBob_3
    Options
    Cool, makes sense. Thank you.

I imagine i'll get the odd 'Refer' decision at point of purchase but that'll be about the extent of it. Unfortunately water and internet are already setup with full details.

Pity. Anyway, something to be aware of for the future. Never provide the water company with any details. If possible, let them bill you as "The Occupier", or at most give them your surname and nothing else.
  • yoshiyella
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »

Definition of fraud: wrongful deception to result in personal or financial gain.

Now if you have not lived with your parents for many years then stating that you do is surely wrongful deception?

I'm not saying it is up there in the fraud big league but it is still just that.

Sorry I also meant that I assumed that he is using his parents address as his address and not the one he actually lives in!
  • yoshiyella
    Options

No, fraud alerts would not happen if you lived somewhere just for a few months! Have you ever done a DBS?
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    Driving license does not cost to change address, and it's a £1,000 fine if you don't.

I'd do that even if I didn't do other credit things.

If you ever want to apply for more credit, all your bills etc are at your new address, so it's easier to just change it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure