PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate agent using old photos

Options
I was nosing around RIghtmove earlier and looked up my old house I sold 2 years ago to an investor, who immediately rented it out. It's now up for rent again with a different estate agent, however the listing has the photos which were taken when we were marketing to sell it, so with our belongings and by a different estate agent.

I'm not going to do anything about it, but it astounded me that this was ok - unless it's not? I don't think there are any rules or regulations around estate agency are there - only codes of conduct?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it's only really a copyright problem for your estate agent - unless the photos are genuinely misleading I'm not sure that it breaches any other rules.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    The photos belong either:

to you - unlikely but possible

or to the original estate agent - more likely

It could be an agreement between agents to use each others photos as properties transfer from sale to lettings

There's a lot of law that governs this, and many other aspects, of running an EAs
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The previous agent owns the copyright on the photos, so they have a case against the new agent.

They're not your photos, you don't have copyright. You don't own the property anymore, so have no case against the new agent on those grounds.

So what if someone sees your belongings now? Everybody who looks at RM saw them when you were selling? So what if some new folks see them now?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    Well, technically it's a copyright problem for your agent, but I can't imagine they'd care - it's not that different from using an image from the manufacturer's website on an ebay listing.

That said, if I was the vendor, I'd be a bit annoyed that they hadn't taken more recent pictures, or that the ad might not represent the place as it currently is, and disappoint viewers.

But that's not your problem...
  • Chelsea__Thomas
    Options
    Maybe contact you old Estate Agent and ask?
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the OP just wanted to share their surprise rather than take action.
  • picju96
    picju96 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I'm not going to take action, I was just surprised to see our old living room still in a listing, 2 years on! It does make me wonder what the state of the property is now, but that just makes me sad more than anything (yes, I am possibly over-invested in my very first house!)
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,658 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, such a terrible shock & surprise to find an Estate Agent doing something most would consider unethical and a bad advert for his business.

;)
  • BlaEm
    BlaEm Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    When I sold my last place, the BTL buyer listed it for rent with another agent before we'd even completed - using all the pics from my sales listing.

I thought it was pretty cheeky (especially as they went on to detail all the refurbishments they'd be doing before the renters moved in :) ).
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <shrug> I've just listed a flat, looking for a new tenant. Using the same photos as when it was listed last time, two years ago. Which used the photos from the sale, taken six months earlier.
    <thinks> Actually, they might have been taken before a previous tenant moved in. It's been a rental since it was built, nearly ten years ago.

It still looks the same, after all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport