MSE News: Warning: TV licence loophole could close this autumn

edited 19 May 2016 at 12:21PM in Phones & TV
69 replies 9.5K views
Former_MSE_LucindaFormer_MSE_Lucinda Former MSE
46 Posts
edited 19 May 2016 at 12:21PM in Phones & TV
Viewers who watch the BBC online may have to pay for a TV licence from this autumn, amid funding changes...
Read the full story:
'Warning: TV licence loophole could close this autumn'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• However, the Government has confirmed it will still offer free concessionary licences to the over 75s.

This makes it sound like the Government pay the BBC for every TV licence given away to a household with one person over the age of 75, BUT it is actually the BBC who have been forced to give away a TV licence for free. So a massive hit on the revenue collected every year.
  • GingerBob_3GingerBob_3 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    This makes it sound like the Government pay the BBC for every TV licence given away to a household with one person over the age of 75, BUT it is actually the BBC who have been forced to give away a TV licence for free. So a massive hit on the revenue collected every year.

Good. The more massive hits these parasites suffer the better.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This firmly pegs the TV licence as a licence to watch BBC now.

Fair enough, BBC should continue getting their money from the licence while the rest of the channels should now be able to be watched without a licence as they get their revenue from advertising
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    unforeseen wrote: »
    This firmly pegs the TV licence as a licence to watch BBC now.

Fair enough, BBC should continue getting their money from the licence while the rest of the channels should now be able to be watched without a licence as they get their revenue from advertising

Not really, it pegs it as a license to watch live TV and to watch the BBC.

Exempt non-BBC live TV viewers from the license fee and it would collapse (not least because that then becomes even more unenforceable than it is now). Something many people here would like, but not particularly rational for the BBC to agree with.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is good news and makes things much more straightforward for people who don't have TV Licences because they don't need them.

It means that people can enjoy non-BBC catch-up completely guilt(-trip) free.
    ex Board Guide

• HerbalusHerbalus Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Good. The more massive hits these parasites suffer the better.

Just curious Bob, is there any organisation that you do like? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Time to ditch the BBC completely. Anything good ends up on Netflix eventually anyway.

BBC radio is still licence free, and so is the web site.
  • rtho782rtho782 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hope the BBC collapse. This will only mean more annoying BBC people ringing my doorbell at 9am on a saturday.

I wonder if watching Dr Who on Netflix (which is a paid service, that must pay the BBC for content) would be covered by this.

I don't much care as I don't consume BBC content either way, but this will only lead to more aggressiveness from the BBC (t/a TV Licensing) who only just barely manage to believe you don't need a license right now.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: [STRIKE]£13,000 / £15,000[/STRIKE] House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's funny. I don't have a TV, never had a colour one in fact, and don't watch catch-up but do use radio and the web-site. But I don't have this irrational hate some seem to do, and I appreciate that losing the BBC would have tremendous social, cultural, employment and even international ramifications. As Joni Mitchell sang - 'You don't know what you've got till it's gone'...

Incidentally, how _will_ they enforce this?
  • MarkthesharkMarktheshark Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Halfway to the TV licence becoming the broadband and TV licence .
    Remember that name and you can say hey I read that on MSE Last year.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides