Freezer Stock Accidental Damage

Options
We run a small online retail business.

We left a freezer door open over the weekend and this has caused the loss of the stock held.

We have full business insurance with Aviva. This covers for our stock and accidental damage risks.

Our broker has told us that Aviva do not regard this as a valid claim and that they agree with Aviva. Essentially the argument seems to be that accidental damage has to be instant and that the loss of stock was gradual ie over two days.

I'm a bit surprised by this but I would appreciate any comments and, in particular, any counter arguments I could make to our broker.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Read your policy and any updates very carefully. However I would suggest that accidental damage cover may not include damage caused by "accidentally" not doing something, i.e. closing freezer door.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

We left a freezer door open over the weekend and this has caused the loss of the stock held.

We have full business insurance with Aviva. This covers for our stock and accidental damage risks.

Our broker has told us that Aviva do not regard this as a valid claim and that they agree with Aviva. Essentially the argument seems to be that accidental damage has to be instant and that the loss of stock was gradual ie over two days.

I'm a bit surprised by this but I would appreciate any comments and, in particular, any counter arguments I could make to our broker.

I would assume accidental damage meant accidental damage to the electrical supply causing the freezer to stop working or accidental damage to the unit causing the refrigerant to escape stopping the freezer from working. I would assume that coverage would also cover breakdown of the freezer if the freezer is under a certain age such as 10 years. I think that failing to close the door is not classed as accidental damage.

My opinion of course....
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Hi SeminoleCAG

Thanks for your post.

First of all, I'm really sorry to hear you're unhappy with Aviva's decision in relation to your claim. Whilst it's unlikely I'll be able to change their decision, I'd be happy to arrange for someone to contact you to discuss your concerns and answer any questions you have. If you'd like me to do so, please email us at social@aviva.co.uk with the following details -

Full name
    Date of birth
    Postcode
    Policy/claim number

Thanks,

Stephanie
    Aviva Social Media Team
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was standing near the kitchen at work the other day waiting for some meals to be served and started to wonder where an annoying beeping noise was coming from. It was the fridge door, which had not been properly closed.

I don't think the freezer beeps if the door is left open, but is it worth looking into alarming things?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport