CCJs

Options
pappa_golf
pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 10 May 2016 at 6:53AM in Credit file & ratings
when do they cease to exist?

I was ringing around for some car insurance , I am getting used to being asked , do you have any NON motoring convictions , digging into your privacy a bit , I think

does it make you a worse driver if you have murdered your wife?

if you are a convicted !!!!!phile , will you drive slowly past schools?

anyway today I was asked , do you have any CCJs ? , I asked "active" , he said no have you had a CCJ?

I chose to answer that to the best of my knowledge and using expedian/noddle etc I had no active CCJs

a CCJ disappears after 6 yrs , but does it ? is it still lurking on some database waiting to jump out and bite you?
Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Not on any officially checkable database.

It comes off the register of judegment and fines after 6 years, and AFAIK even the issuing court will expunge records at some while after that?

Companies you've previously dealt with while active may have some record from previous checks, but even then may not be retained depending on DPA.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ok , thanks , it was the official databases that worried me (or not)
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Pappa Golf,

Whilst the CCJ may not appear on your credit file or the Register of Orders, Judgements and Fines any more this is a situation that you need to be careful with. If the insurance company asked "have you had a CCJ" and they did not specify a time frame and in fact you have had a CCJ in the past then answering no to this could invalidate your insurance (as it is false information and - in a worse case scenario - this could cause other issues as it could be classed as intentionally false information).

Is the CCJ still owing or has it been paid off? Did they specify active or just ask about any CCJ? Did they specify a time frame? It is all in the wording of the question I am afraid.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2016 at 6:28PM
    Options
    Were you paying the premium in one go (in which case you may feel it an invasion of privacy / irrelevant to your driving) or were you wanting to pay monthly (in which case they may feel it a fair question)?

I can't speak for the person you were talking to of course but Your evasive answer probably wouldn't have led me to believe that you had none - "no" might have done that! - the answer you gave would have made me think quite the opposite - you had had one, even if now more than 6 years ago

They would normally disappear from the register after 6 years. See http://www.trustonline.org.uk/understand-judgments-fines/entries-on-the-england-and-wales-register/ccjs-and-the-register

That's not necessarily to say the company who had it couldn't still try to pursue the debt / judgment after that time
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think you got a point OP.

Unrelated I know, but just look at this job in finance and notice how it only pays attention to CCJ's... (once upon a time they checked for BR, just not any more it seems) all details left raw and likewise I note they don't state the agehood of the CCJ

Your 5 steps to becoming a xxxxxx Agent:

1) Apply today. Using your mobile, PC, laptop or tablet you can apply in 5-10 minutes. You don't even need a CV.

2) Recruitment Call. You'll receive a call from our recruitment team within 24 hours to chat to you about the role, discuss your previous experience and answer any questions you have.

3) Interview. If you are progressed to an interview you'll meet the Branch Manager in your local area. Interviews are on a Tuesday afternoon.

4) Background Checks. As a regulated Company we need to ensure all Agents acting on our behalf are fit to do so and so we undertake a DBS and CCJ check.

:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport