Third party balance transfer?

Options
401kill
401kill Posts: 19 Forumite
Hello

I've recently purchased flights on a credit card which I am a named user on.

I wish to transfer the balance into my own name.

I was about to sign up for the Halifax 0% fee + 23 months 0% interest card, but Halifax balance transfer unit has said that the transfer would not be possible as the addresses involved are different.

Is this the case with all card providers? If not, can anyone suggest a provider who will take a third party transfer without requiring both cards to be registered at the same address?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Most will allow BT between different cardholders, regardless of address.
  • daniel86_2
    daniel86_2 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    You could try balance transfer using online banking as you are normally only required to enter the card number details and amount to transfer. Alternately MBNA/VIRGIN offer balance transfer into a bank account which would in give you the money to pay off the balance in cash on the other card
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    401kill wrote: »
    . . . I was about to sign up for the Halifax 0% fee + 23 months 0% interest card, but Halifax balance transfer unit has said that the transfer would not be possible as the addresses involved are different.
    It's not clear what has happened here.

Have you discussed this with the transfer unit before making the application or have you already applied but turned down their offer of the card?
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • 401kill
    Options
    Sorry, I'll try to clarify!

I have not applied for the card yet.

I was told by the branch staff that it is not possible to transfer any third party debt.

I was then told by customer services that it should be possible to transfer any debt that is not coming from another Halifax card.

I was then told by the balance transfer unit that both cards must be registered at the same address. This was then confirmed by another customer services operative.

I am therefore looking for some advice before I apply for anything!

I have a Barclaycard CC in my name, and the balance transfer that I'd like to do would come from an MBNA card - so Virgin seems like the best suggestion so far. If anyone can confirm any other providers that can do this, or if it is possible through the Halifax online system, that would be great thanks :)
  • 401kill
    Options
    Ran a search on one of the comparison websites and I am pre-approved for an MBNA card - 22 months @ 0%, 1.4% fee (if I remember correctly).

Assuming that I get a decent limit from them (which is why I would have liked the Halifax card - I already know that their system thinks I should be able to get more credit than I need), that would seem ideal to do a money transfer and pay off the other MBNA card that I am named on.

Is there anything I should be aware of before I go down this route?
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I was then told by the balance transfer unit that both cards must be registered at the same address. This was then confirmed by another customer services operative.

But how would they know what address the other card is registered to? (Or indeed that it's not in your name)
  • 401kill
    Options
    I've never done a balance transfer before, so don't really know what information I would need to supply - I was hoping that the BTU would know what they were talking about! :)

From your response, I take it that name / address of cardholder is not required?
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I've never done a balance transfer before, so don't really know what information I would need to supply - I was hoping that the BTU would know what they were talking about! :)

From your response, I take it that name / address of cardholder is not required?

As someone has said above, if you make a BT request online you're not normally asked for name and address on the card account you're transferring from, and as far as I know the bank carrying out the BT has no way of knowing the name and address of the other card.

Doing it by phone you may be asked, some may be comfortable with fibbing in that scenario.
  • Confused31
    Options
    OP did you ever have any success with this balance transfer and Halifax as I am trying to do the same thing transfer my balances to my mums Halifax card and Halifax haven't done it and say different addresses are stopping it
  • StuartBla
    Options
    Halifax are not allowing me to Balance Transfer from another card of a different address.
    This was not in their T&C's (I did look but could not see)
    I applied for the transfer with the card, but never received any heads-up or notification that it was rejected. Its' in their T&C's that they will 'do their best' to notify you but I get the impression the T&C's are for their sake and useless to the consumer.

I tried online where they do not ask the address but it still gets rejected, and the Balance Transfer team just fell silent when I asked about where it states I cannot do this or anything else I can try.

Stuart
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport