Urgent Housing Benefit Help Please.

Options
Hi All,

I've just received a letter from the council claiming that I've received a overpayment for Housing Benefit.

I've only every claimed this once back in 2009 for 9months before moving into a new home with my partner. At this point I've put in a change of circumstances form & "opened" up a new account on our new home in both our names.

Surely they can't make this demand after 7years????

Can anyone please offer any advise.

Much appreciated.

Comments

• dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They can unfortunately. They can also attach your earnings do it's wise to sort this out.

Do you despute the actual overpayment or how long it's taken.

Is it possible the money is sat in the old bank account because you were unaware it was being paid?
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Debts can only be pursued by civil proceedings within 6 years. But often payments are still chased.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • nobby1985
    Options
    Thanks both..

Yeah I do dispute the overpayments, to my knowledge I never received it.

Going to double check my bank statements from then to see if they paid it in.

But surely they'll have to provide exact dates & figures for what they are meant to of paid me?? They just can't say you owe us this £XXX without providing a detailed breakdown??

Much appreicated
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    nobby1985 wrote: »
    Thanks both..

But surely they'll have to provide exact dates & figures for what they are meant to of paid me?? They just can't say you owe us this £XXX without providing a detailed breakdown??

Much appreicated

Have they refused to provide you with this breakdown?
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    nobby1985 wrote: »
    Thanks both..

Much appreicated

They can if you ring & ask them to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family