PPI for late Aunt

Options
My aunt passed almost three years ago and there is another person living in her last address. This week the person who resides at that address now gave my Mum the post which they had received in my aunt's name. My Mum opened the post and it contained a cheque for PPI.

My aunt had got my Mum to sort her bills for her when she was ill because my aunt was predeceased by her husband and her two sons live in America. One son had been helping to sort the bills but then left it to my Mum and I.

Has someone pretended to be my aunt and claimed this money, here is part of the letter,

"Dear Mrs Xxxx

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We have reviewed your account and can confirm that you subscribed to the Payment Break Plan product."?

What are we supposed to do? Who do we contact? The person residing in the house is moving out in the next three weeks so how will we get her post then? My Mum and I thought we had all accounts paid and closed but obviously not.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I dont see what you are getting at if the cheque was in the letter and your mother has it in her possession.

If the person who lived in the house had claimed the money then they would have opened the envelope with the cheque in it, surely

Ask at the post office if you can still do a redirection even after all this time, there cant have been much surely
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jo4 wrote: »
    Has someone pretended to be my aunt and claimed this money
    If the cheque was still in the envelope how can anyone have claimed the money?

Banks have been known to payout PPI redress to multiple individuals who are known to have collectively definitely been mis-sold. This does not require an individual (living or dead) to actually complain. This seems the most likely explanation.

If your Aunt has been dead three years, your main difficulty appears to be cashing the cheque, not worrying about any future mail she might be sent...
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    I dont see what you are getting at if the cheque was in the letter and your mother has it in her possession.

If the person who lived in the house had claimed the money then they would have opened the envelope with the cheque in it, surely

Ask at the post office if you can still do a redirection even after all this time, there cant have been much surely

No we do not think the person who resides in the house has anything to do with it but the part of the letter which states,

"Dear Mrs Xxxx

Thank you for your recent correspondence."

does this not indicate that someone has contacted the company pretending to be my aunt? If so, is there any way of finding out who is pretending to be my aunt? What else are they going to do - take a loan out in her name or what, where will this end? How can we stop this happening?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As long as it won't have any impact on you personally, I'd let Banks and the Police worry about any possible identity theft of your deceased Aunt.

RIP.
  • Jo4
    Options
    If the cheque was still in the envelope how can anyone have claimed the money?

Banks have been known to payout PPI redress to multiple individuals who are known to have collectively definitely been mis-sold. This does not require an individual (living or dead) to actually complain. This seems the most likely explanation.

If your Aunt has been dead three years, your main difficulty appears to be cashing the cheque, not worrying about any future mail she might be sent...

I was wondering if someone had applied for the money by the wording within the letter which the company sent which states,

"Dear Mrs Xxxx

does this not indicate that someone has contacted the company pretending to be my aunt?
  • Jo4
    Options
    As long as it won't have any impact on you personally, I'd let Banks and the Police worry about any possible identity theft of your deceased Aunt. RIP.

Thank you. I did pay some of her bills from my bank account while she was in hospital and since she passed. My Mum and I don't know who we should contact or what we should do. I have never been in this situation and I don't know what I should do.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Jo4 wrote: »

does this not indicate that someone has contacted the company pretending to be my aunt?
    Possibly.

Again, nothing you need be too concerned about since you won't be personally impacted.

Do contact the Bank so that they are aware she has passed on, however.
  • Jo4
    Options
    Another letter was from a credit card company offering her a balance transfer and quoted her card number - the first 12 digits were x's and then there was 4 numerical digits. What can we do about this?
  • Jo4
    Options
    Possibly.

Again, nothing you need be too concerned about since you won't be personally impacted.

Do contact the Bank so that they are aware she has passed on, however.

Is it possible to find out who is claiming to be my aunt? When she was alive she was always concerned that someone had stole her identity.

Will the bank believe me or will her son need to phone as obviously I had nothing to do with her will? I have no knowledge about things like this or wills - I haven't even sorted a will for myself.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Only one of her executors will be able to cash the cheque or properly inform the Bank of her demise.

You are not likely to be made privy to any details pertaining to possible identity theft.

Leave that to the Police and Bank(s).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport