Seriously unfit - your help please!

Hi all,

As the title says I'm seriously unfit. Not very overweight (could lose a few pounds but still a size 12), but I am seriously unfit. I used to have a very physical job, being on my feet for 12 hours a day with a lot of manual handling, but due to ill health that had to go, and with it my fitness levels. I'd say I'm literally starting from zero.

I had surgeries the last two years on my knee and back (which are now healed and I'm OK'd to exercise again), but I can barely walk to the shop and back without needing a lie down!

Please don't suggest Couch 2 5K, I am completely unable to run due to the surgeries so anything that involves running/high impact is out.

I want to exercise at home (I have a large garden) until I am able to get to the gym (can't even walk it there, let alone participate yet). I don't mind what it is, I've started on Wii U Fit and have seen benefits but it is very repetitive!

Any ideas?

Comments

• saveallmymoney
    saveallmymoney Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Buy a dog!

Seriously though, walking is great. I'd suggest going out every day and trying to go a bit further...
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    and swimming, but what ever you do, build it up slowly

Good luck and let us know how you are doing
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Have you considered a stationary bike? It's low-impact exercise, you can adjust the resistance as you get fitter, and you can listen to music/catch up on television/plot world domination at the same time.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    As high impact exercises are out of the question, simply walking more might be a good place to start. How far can you currently walk without feeling like you need to stop?
    Swimming is also a good low impact exercise, would aqua-aerobics interest you?
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Back when I was seriously unfit, I started off with the Wii fit (I'm not sure how it compares to a Wii U Fit) and I used to spend about 45 minutes stepping on and off the balance board.
    You may notice that 45 minutes is about the length of one episode of a typical box-set type TV program when seen without the adverts ;).

If the program was really good and I wanted to watch another one, then I had to step for the next 45 minutes :D
    After a while, I moved on to doing it while holding hand weights, then increasing the height of the step, then eventually jogging on the spot (perhaps not suitable for you).

That got my fitness up to a level where I could actually venture outside and to the gym and try a more challenging and varied set of activities.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Buy a dog!

This is what I was going to suggest, or rather than buy one find a dog which needs more than its owner can provide (elderly/ frail).
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Angry_Bear wrote: »
    Back when I was seriously unfit, I started off with the Wii fit (I'm not sure how it compares to a Wii U Fit) and I used to spend about 45 minutes stepping on and off the balance board.
    You may notice that 45 minutes is about the length of one episode of a typical box-set type TV program when seen without the adverts ;).

If the program was really good and I wanted to watch another one, then I had to step for the next 45 minutes :D
    After a while, I moved on to doing it while holding hand weights, then increasing the height of the step, then eventually jogging on the spot (perhaps not suitable for you).

That got my fitness up to a level where I could actually venture outside and to the gym and try a more challenging and varied set of activities.

The Wii U fit is almost the same as the Wii Fit but a few new exercises. I will give it a go, I always get super bored, didn't think of putting something on the TV!
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ohreally wrote: »
    This is what I was going to suggest, or rather than buy one find a dog which needs more than its owner can provide (elderly/ frail).

Unfortunately due to work scheduling I'm not able to care for an animal on a full time basis. I also don't know anyone with a dog and have never owned a dog before.
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As high impact exercises are out of the question, simply walking more might be a good place to start. How far can you currently walk without feeling like you need to stop?
    Swimming is also a good low impact exercise, would aqua-aerobics interest you?

Hi thanks for your reply.

At my Gym we have a pool and aqua-aerobics, but I can't manage the walk there (probably about half a mile) let alone think about doing a class at the moment! I really am starting from nothing! I used to swim a lot, usually 5-6 times a week, so I know I can get fitter, its just how to break it down for absolutely unfit me. Plus I feel like a whale in a swimsuit!
  • DomRavioli
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tiger_eyes wrote: »
    Have you considered a stationary bike? It's low-impact exercise, you can adjust the resistance as you get fitter, and you can listen to music/catch up on television/plot world domination at the same time.

Hi thanks for your reply

I hadn't considered it to be honest, we have the room as well. I will have to have a look, is there anything I need to look for (I've never done this before)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure