Anyone used Chips Away?

Options
johnsusan
johnsusan Posts: 33 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello there

I have an over wheel knock which I foolishly tried to touch up myself (I know, idiot). I am having a quote later in the week from Chips Away. Has anyone out there used them and were they happy with the result, or not? Also what sort of price would I be expecting. (Yes as my Dad would have said, how long is a piece of string) but just broad idea might help me. Finally is there negotiating on the price or is this a take it or leave it organisation.

Thanks for your time, be kind to me...

SRL

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've used CA or a similar company before. I was quite happy with the results and the cost.

If you want a comparable quote, Halfords also have a chip service. Theirs is fixed fee (not sure about CA).

Halfords previously quoted me £65 for any chip up to the size of a 5p piece. Not sure about dents.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    johnsusan wrote: »
    Hello there

I have an over wheel knock which I foolishly tried to touch up myself (I know, idiot). I am having a quote later in the week from Chips Away. Has anyone out there used them and were they happy with the result, or not? Also what sort of price would I be expecting. (Yes as my Dad would have said, how long is a piece of string) but just broad idea might help me. Finally is there negotiating on the price or is this a take it or leave it organisation.

Thanks for your time, be kind to me...

SRL

ChipsAway are Franchises.

So the level of skill varies.

Some franchises have many years experience as a panel beater and painter.

Some have been made redundant and invested in the franchise as a way to start their own business.

Some even operate in industrial units rather than out of a van at your home but use the ChipsAway techniques.

The one in Upminster has their own industrial unit not far from the A12.

They were based at No5 Woodland Farm on Folkes Lane.

I am sure a quick Google will get you their number.

I know they had a good reputation and do a lot of high end stuff like Range Rovers, Jags and Mercs.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Worth considering that many of the better franchisees will have already built their reputation up, and a substantial client base, so may well have decided that they no longer want to pay the franchise fees - so look for small one-man companies, too.

Equally, many of them may well be useless.

I'd be asking your local used car sales places for recommendations - they'll use them frequently, and know who's to be avoided.
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    Options
    I used them and they were rubbish, the guy that came to quote seemed ok, but he sent someone else. I wanted a couple of alloys refurbed, he rubbed the face down and sprayed it, however I ended up with blue specks in it, cos he had also had previous just done a small repair to my rear bumper. Also, becuase they repair outside, you end up with bits of dust or grit in the paint. They won't tell you about this until afterwards.

From now on I use a bodyshop based repairs.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a local guy I've used to get dents out quite a few times now and always been pleased with results. Price varies on severity and location but around £50-£75
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    m0bov wrote: »
    I used them and they were rubbish, the guy that came to quote seemed ok, but he sent someone else. I wanted a couple of alloys refurbed, he rubbed the face down and sprayed it, however I ended up with blue specks in it, cos he had also had previous just done a small repair to my rear bumper. Also, becuase they repair outside, you end up with bits of dust or grit in the paint. They won't tell you about this until afterwards.

From now on I use a bodyshop based repairs.

Some ChipsAway Franchises use proper facilities and don't actually do it outside your house.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Worth considering that many of the better franchisees will have already built their reputation up, and a substantial client base, so may well have decided that they no longer want to pay the franchise fees - so look for small one-man companies, too.

If a franchise is worth it's name they'll have a non-compete contract in place where ex-franchisee will not set up competing businesses.
  • johnsusan
    johnsusan Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for the helpful remarks. I will ask about any customers he can put me in touch with to vouch for his work.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    johnsusan wrote: »
    Thank you all for the helpful remarks. I will ask about any customers he can put me in touch with to vouch for his work.

you might be better googling his telephone number for honest reviews rather than his cousins vouching for him like they do when you ask itinerents for previous guttring jobs they dun
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,556 Forumite
    Options
    I thought about a chips away franchise or similar, but i wouldnt let me near the bodywork on my own car so thought probably not the job for me :)

Others maybe just in it for the money and do a poor job.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure