£7000 to transfer - interest question

2»

Replies

• enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    12.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with rate chasers suggestion for the Lloyds Club and TSB account. You could drip feed the flexclusive regular saver with £500 per month from the Lloyds Club account as that only pays 4% and the Flexclusive RS pays 5%. Lloyds Club needs £1500 per month so do a straight transfer in and out each month on the same day from your Nationwide Flex account or the TSB one. That is what I do minus the 2 direct debits you need for LLoyds. I just do my dental insurance and National Trust one to qualify but there are lots of suggestions on threads on this forum.
    Early retired in December 2017. Debt counsellor for a High Street bank in a previous life.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]

Save £12k in 2022 challenge #36 0/£12,000
  • thanks for all the help, will have a look at the rest now, didn't think about opening multiple accounts for the 7k as I don't have 2 DD to transfer
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could drip feed the flexclusive regular saver with £500 per month from the Lloyds Club account...
    But only for 2 months! The 3rd transfer would see the Club Lloyds balance dip below £4K, thereby dropping the rate to 2% AER.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Given how log it will take you to dripfeed in the £7k, why not get an account where you can put the money in in one go?
    I drip feed £2,600 a month into various regular savers that pay between 4% and 6%, so £7K would run out in month 3. There's no single account that pays anything like that much interest on £7K although you can get 5% on at least £2K straight away.
  • LXdaddyLXdaddy Forumite
    693 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Assuming you don't already have them then my vote would be for a TSB Classic Plus account and a Club Lloyds account. 2K in one and 5K in the other giving you 5% and 4% fairly easily

Yes you have to do some cross funding but a pair of standing orders for one to the other and back will do that. And you can create a couple of direct debits quite easily too.
  • I also have a large sum in a Nationwide savings account. My problem is that I am an expat living in France and need to be able to open UK saving accounts without a UK address. All my income is generated in UK and paid into an existing Nationwide current account. Any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News