Changing from personal to Business on ebay and paypal - easiest/most logical method

Options
Firstwatch
Firstwatch Posts: 282 Forumite
Hello All,
I'm sure that this has been done many times before, so hoping for the benefit of other people's experiences, as the person I spoke to on the Paypal helpline wasn't quite sure as to the best way to do it.
I am planning to change my ebay account with it's decent feedback ratings to a business seller account next week. This is in line with the start of the calendar month and also because I have a number of listings on a "50% off FV fees" offer which ebay tells me will continue after my change of status, with only new listings being subject to the business seller rules.

I have opened a new email address specifically for ebay business sales and have also given this on my application for HMRC self assessment.

I have gone halfway towards opening a business paypal account, but stopped as it redirected me to ebay to change my status prematurely, so that is on hold.

I need to take my personal email off my current ebay account and link the new business email to it, then link my barclays business account when I have it opened in about 10 working days to that as well.

I also need to open a new personal ebay account for non-business purchases and link my old personal email and my old paypal account to that.

I think that is as simply as I can put it - would anyone suggest the best way/order to do all this, and let me know if there is anything I need to watch out for please?

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 April 2016 at 7:24AM
    Options
    Firstwatch wrote: »
    Hello All,
    I'm sure that this has been done many times before, so hoping for the benefit of other people's experiences, as the person I spoke to on the Paypal helpline wasn't quite sure as to the best way to do it.
    I am planning to change my ebay account with it's decent feedback ratings to a business seller account next week. This is in line with the start of the calendar month and also because I have a number of listings on a "50% off FV fees" offer which ebay tells me will continue after my change of status, with only new listings being subject to the business seller rules.

I have opened a new email address specifically for ebay business sales and have also given this on my application for HMRC self assessment.

I have gone halfway towards opening a business paypal account, but stopped as it redirected me to ebay to change my status prematurely, so that is on hold.

I need to take my personal email off my current ebay account and link the new business email to it, then link my barclays business account when I have it opened in about 10 working days to that as well.

I also need to open a new personal ebay account for non-business purchases and link my old personal email and my old paypal account to that.

I think that is as simply as I can put it - would anyone suggest the best way/order to do all this, and let me know if there is anything I need to watch out for please?

I am not entirely clear what info you want.

Add the new email to your Ebay and Paypal accounts. Open a second and possibly even a third Ebay account for buying and personal stuff. Use your personal email on that.

You can only have two Paypal accounts. You can use your monthly financial reports to separate your business and personal email payments in your Paypal account so you don't necessarily have to separate the accounts. Although I would recommend for ease that your business is kept totally separate.

There is no good or bad order to do these things and you can do them today, there is no point waiting. If you have set a date for your business to be fully operational, say 1 June, then set it all up now and just don't trade until then.

The only thing I would query is your statement on your eBay 50% off fees. I haven't changed an account as mine have all been set up as businesses when opening, but I cannot see eBay applying two separate rules to the same account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure